1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al, I have a new job :)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by robertanewiss, Jan 19, 2012.

1. robertanewiss

robertanewiss New commenter

Hi guys,
    I was appointed in a new role last week. I'm a little nervous about starting but its not until September so lots of time to prepare.
    Anyway I did a lot of research about planning for the interview, lots on here, some with colleagues and of course a bit with the parentals :) I set myself up a table of themes I thought may crop up and included things I wanted to stay, themes, starting points for conversation.
    Across the top I labelled the 5 columns:
    Topic, Pupils, School, Community, Myself.
    Down the side I had the topics:
    - Suitability for the role
    - Personal Strengths
    - Personal Weaknesses (turn into a strength)
    - Why this age range
    - Successful school is
    - Colleagues, TAs, Volunteers
    - High-quality teaching and learning / good lesson
    - Lesson didn't go well and what did about it
    - Differentiation
    - Ability grouping
    - Lack of progress
    - Behaviour management
    - Bullying
    - Safeguarding
    - CPD (5 years time)
    - Performance management
    - Parents involvement inc challenging
    - Moving the subject forward
    - Assessment & Data
    - In class and across school
    - Extra Curricular
    Sounds like loads of work when I put it down like that but it wasn't and made me focus my thinking before the interview and throughout it. I filled it in with bullet points, some things dont lend themselves to all of the columns but it was a starting point.
    I hope this may help someone else.
    Good Luck guys
    Roberta xxx

2. robertanewiss

Hi guys,
    I was appointed in a new role last week. I'm a little nervous about starting but its not until September so lots of time to prepare.
    Anyway I did a lot of research about planning for the interview, lots on here, some with colleagues and of course a bit with the parentals :) I set myself up a table of themes I thought may crop up and included things I wanted to stay, themes, starting points for conversation.
    Across the top I labelled the 5 columns:
    Topic, Pupils, School, Community, Myself.
    Down the side I had the topics:
    - Suitability for the role
    - Personal Strengths
    - Personal Weaknesses (turn into a strength)
    - Why this age range
    - Successful school is
    - Colleagues, TAs, Volunteers
    - High-quality teaching and learning / good lesson
    - Lesson didn't go well and what did about it
    - Differentiation
    - Ability grouping
    - Lack of progress
    - Behaviour management
    - Bullying
    - Safeguarding
    - CPD (5 years time)
    - Performance management
    - Parents involvement inc challenging
    - Moving the subject forward
    - Assessment & Data
    - In class and across school
    - Extra Curricular
    Sounds like loads of work when I put it down like that but it wasn't and made me focus my thinking before the interview and throughout it. I filled it in with bullet points, some things dont lend themselves to all of the columns but it was a starting point.
    I hope this may help someone else.
    Good Luck guys
    Roberta xxx

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations on the 'new role'. [​IMG] if you prefer.
    Your preparation seems pretty rganised and no wonder you 'got it'.
    Certainly a big pointer for others to try focussing their ideas. Thank You!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, Roberta!

Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now read this and Bump it:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    A nice long time to prepare for taking over a wider role - enjoy your thinking time now!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Well done [​IMG] x

6. Well done! What you've done is not loads of work at all! It's sensible, as this type of prep shows in your letter of application etc and during the interview on the day! I was given a grid to fill in with info similar to what you described on my PGCE course and have consequently had good feedback on the quality of my applications.

Another thing I do, is to make a physical or mental note of all the questions that I've been asked (or ones that I could be asked) and then write down in note form how I would answer these questions based upon my experience which I then read through a couple of times on interview day. Of course, I don't memorise the answers verbatim (because giving set answers to every interview would be stupid, as I'm not a robot and don't intend to be mistaken for one), but I use this process as a way of preparing for these questions (esp tricky ones) and a way of calming my nerves (this is very important to me as I'm a shy person and actually find the non teaching part of interview days difficult, but since doing this, I feel that I've come across a lot better in various interviews and find the whole process less intimidating)!

CONGRATULATIONS again!

7. PS. Theo, I got 2 jobs in October and November last year but I forgot to tell you (as I've been ill with stress). Can I be cheeky and ask for 2 stars from you, please? ;-)

8. Lara mfl 05

If you want your star, you have to <u>start your very own new thread</u> entitled 'Dear Theo I got the job', though whether, if you're currently off sick and it was back in Oct.Nov, who know?

9. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Congratulations robertanewiss [​IMG] x

10. Lara mfl 05

Oh kind welshchocoholic has started the celebrations already!
    So [​IMG]

11. Ohhhh MAAAAAAAAANNNN! :(

Nope, I was off sick last year, went back to the old job and then left at the end of the year (August last year). I then got my 2 new jobs in October and November last year.

12. Anyway, congrats again!

13. Lara mfl 05

I didn't know what this term referred to when I first started looking at these forums either, so not to worry.
    As I undertsand it; 'Bumping' a thread is posting (even as little as the one word Bump!), to move a thread towards the start or top, so it's more easily seen. Feel free to correctme if I've misunderstood posters!

14. robertanewiss

Ok. Thanks Lara I'll go &do that right away. [​IMG]
    xxx