1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - et al - how important is a visit pre-application?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Pointyboots, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Dear Theo and others with experience

How important is it to visit before I apply? Are schools likely to look on the application less favourably?
    I am urgently seeking an NQT post now as though I had 2 interviews I messed up one and came second in the other. I have 4 weeks left of my final placement and don't want to mess the school around too much by flitting in and out on visits and hopefully interviews but most ads seem to want you to visit. I do know that they are helpful for me too as I have already decided against schools twice on visiting them but feeling I need to get less picky.

Thoughts?

2. Dear Theo and others with experience

How important is it to visit before I apply? Are schools likely to look on the application less favourably?
    I am urgently seeking an NQT post now as though I had 2 interviews I messed up one and came second in the other. I have 4 weeks left of my final placement and don't want to mess the school around too much by flitting in and out on visits and hopefully interviews but most ads seem to want you to visit. I do know that they are helpful for me too as I have already decided against schools twice on visiting them but feeling I need to get less picky.

Thoughts?

3. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

It will undoubtedly be important to some heads, but not others. I was shortlisted for 6 interviews (got the job on the 2nd luckily and cancelled the rest!) and had only visited one of those schools. The head who employed me said that she realised how difficult it is to visit every school you apply for, so some definitely do understand!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo's off on holiday but here are some links to a couple of previous threads, when this has been discussed
    School visits
    Dear Theo - School visit protocol and decision making
    If none of those give you the information, if you do a search for School visits or similar and tick Jobseekers only box you should find other threads.
    <h2>
    </h2><h2>
    </h2>
    <h2>
    </h2>

5. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

Sometimes the job advert will give you an idea. If they say something like 'visits highly recommended' or 'visits warmly welcomed' then there will probably be some expectation on their side that people will visit as part of the process.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was looking at an advert today, just to be nosy, and it said 'pre-application visits to the school are essential'. Dunno what people who work full time and have commitments in their PPA are supposed to do. Or trainees who are in the final stages of placements. It isn't even a school in unusual circumstances, just a fairly normal 'good to outstanding' village primary.

I've almost never visited...

7. NNS

NNS New commenter

I never visited too because all schools I applied for were far away (3+ hours travel one way) and both last year an this year my placement schools and my current head were not likely to give a day off just for a visit. I got my NQT job over someone who visited. I am sure it would be appreciated if I visited, but I guess they ould not appoint a worse candidate just because they dropped in before.

8. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

From your own point of view, from my own experience a visit is essential . I remember once arriving on the day of the interview ( a last minute application to a 'good' school ) and immediately thought 'Oh, nooooo!' I had that sinking feeling that told me I really didn't want to work there. I'm a great believer in first impressions and how I react on the first day is usually a good indicator of whether or not I'll be happy there-again from experience! Of course for others it may be different.

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I'm a full-time teacher and recently secured a new job. I spent a few weeks visiting potential schools before deciding wether or not to apply. For me, I like to get an idea of a school before I spend time and effort on the application.
    Of course, it meant leaving work at 3:45pm four days out of five for a couple of weeks, which felt most odd and meant lots of work at home, but I think it was worth it. I went to at least four schools where I though "No way!" as I left.