1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (et al)- first interview nerves/queries

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3946, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I have an interview lined up and, as it's my first ever teaching interview, I'm a little nervous! I've got my schedule for the day, which includes an interview with a student panel- what sort of questions should I anticipate here? I think I have a fairly firm grasp of the sort of things to consider for the departmental and main interviews but not so much a student panel.
    Additionally, what documents should I take with me?
    Plus, one daft question- I cannot find a decent suit jacket which won't result in me not being able to afford to eat for a few months! Mine is fine unbuttoned but strains when buttoned unless I don't breathe. (This is the case with pretty much anything- I'm fairly dumpy and oddshaped, if we're honest here!) Is it okay to wear it initially and then remove it for teaching, as I'd normally do. The rest of my outfit is smart and works quite well without a jacket.
    And any tips for calming the jitters?

Many thanks!

2. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Good luck with your interview Alliandra[​IMG].
    I had one of these last year - just trying to find my book with the questions I wrote after the for you. Will post in a minute[​IMG].
    I take rescue remedy - but I'm still not convinced [​IMG]!

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Found it! Some questions from the school council - although not sure who wrote them. May be of some use/may not [​IMG];
    • What are your hobbies?
    • What are your disciplinary procedures?
    • How would you give praise in your lessons?
    • What can you bring to the X department here?
    • What can you bring to this school?
    • What are your views on extra - curricular activities.
    There were a group of pupils sitting around a table from Year 7-11 whilst I sat at the top end, and they took it in turns to ask me the questions.
    Good luck with your interview [​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent, Welshie!
    A really excellent idea to note your Qs down as soon after the interview as possible, for future use.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. Thanks everyone!

I've actually found a suit that works for me! Huzzah! (Typically, when I wasn't even looking, but I'm not complaining!) I think I'm as prepared as I can get, so just going to try and relax (not my strong point!) and get an early night.
    Thanks Welshie, really helpful!
    Lara- I'm a little ginger on my foot and somewhat lopsided but I can walk without limping TOO badly, especially if I've got a little padding.
    Thanks for all the advice, especially from Lara and Theo who've answered my numerous daft questions the last couple of months!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So fingers crossed Alliandra.
    [​IMG]
    By the way-no such thing as a 'daft question', it's just a qestion to which one hasn't an answer, just like any other question.