1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al: Feeling disheartened

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Mariecapper, May 7, 2012.

1. Mariecapper

Mariecapper New commenter

Hi Theo,
    You may remember a little while ago I posted on here as the first two jobs I applied for I got interviews. I lost out by a whisker to the first job and the second job I withdrew from after interview as it was at a PRU and some of the things mentioned, whilst I take my hat off to the staff that work there, I don't believe I would have been able to handle so I politely withdrew and they were very kind about it.

Since then I have viewed about 6 schools and applied for 2, and not got interviews at those. I've looked around each of the schools I've applied for and the time and energy it's taking is beginning to really hurt because I'm looking at schools about 20 miles away from where I live, and unfortunately the road system around here often means I'm travelling an hour each way, as well as dealing with all the joys of SATS marking, report writing, usual May stuffs.

I'm getting so disheartened, and I know I should shut the hell up because I already have a permanent job - the reason I am leaving is because I desperately want to relocate to be closer to my family and the cost of the commute to my current school would be too much. I am so unhappy living where I do it's really getting me down, as we got burgled in January to add insult to injury and our house contract expires in August and it can't come soon enough.

I'm almost at the point of giving up, and my friend told me not to because she said there are still three weeks left until I have to decide if I'm staying or leaving. I'm just so so tired I don't know if I'm coming or going to be honest!! I feel like I've been looking at schools and I want to work somewhere I feel comfortable and a lot of the schools I looked at didn't feel right and I am adamant I shouldn't just accept a job in a school that I don't feel right in just because it has a different location as I think I'd regret it.

I know you probably don't have a solution at all, to be honest i'm not looking for one because I know no one else can find a job for me but me, but it's just so so tiring and not even getting a 'sorry you haven't got an interview' when I've been making such efforts to go and visit the schools just makes me feel really low.

My mum suggested maybe I should try again for the January positions and look at resigning at Christmas - my head teacher has actually been very supportive when I've told her all of this (although to be honest i'm trying not to mention any of this to her because I don't want to rub it in her face every time I apply for a job because there's being supportive and then there's having the mick taken out of you). I don't know!!

Thanks for listening, if anyone's got any pick-me-ups I could sure use them!!

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Not really a pick-me-up, but lots of sympathy because I know how you feel! I've looked at LOTS of schools recently, applied for many and not got any interviews. It is disheartening and it sounds like you've had a lot of stress lately on top of all this. I'm currently doing Year 6 writing assessments and looking after an ill partner and working full-time and looking for jobs... It gets too much sometimes.
    I am, however, trying to remain optimistic. I will get the right job for me and that may be now or it may be in the future. If I didn't stick to that I'd go crazy!
    Don't give up! There will a school out there that is right for you, just keep wowing them with your executive summary! Good luck!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think it's lovely that you want to be nearer your family, and am just sorry that it is not proving to be possible at the moment.
    If you can get on a train or bus and get to Central London for this Saturday, the TES are running another of their very popular seminars Win that Teaching Job :
    Sat 12th May am only - <font face="Arial" color="navy">www.tesweekendworkshop103.eventbrite.co.uk</font>
    That might help you just polish up your application and hone your interview skills.
    There's also the chance to do some small group interview coaching:
    Interview Coaching &ndash; Sat 12thMay &ndash; am and pm www.tesweekendworkshop102.eventbrite.co.uk
    Apart from that, it's just a case of reading and re-reading all my advice in the Shortlisting clickables (inside the Welcome thread) and being really sure that you are doing what I suggest.
    Best wishes.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No advice I'm afraid just wanted to offer a hug! We just moved down under and I know how hard it is to be away from family & friends (as well as being unemployed!)
    I hope something works out for you xxx