1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al - Evidence of Christian commitment

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Apr 1, 2012.

1. How do I go about this on an application form/exec summary as a confirmed atheist. And please, anyone, don't say why are you applying to a faith school thjn? Just because I am a non-believer does not mean I can't do a great job in a faith school. In fact my last post was in a Catholic school.

2. How do I go about this on an application form/exec summary as a confirmed atheist. And please, anyone, don't say why are you applying to a faith school thjn? Just because I am a non-believer does not mean I can't do a great job in a faith school. In fact my last post was in a Catholic school.

3. Do atheists have rules about lying? Or can you just fudge on something like this?
    Slave, I am praying for you.

4. I would not lie as that would be grounds for dismissal. However it is part of their essential requirements and, if I don't make reference, would my application would be dismissed out of hand? It is a pity that discrimination of this kind is still allowed.
    My thanks for your kind thoughts.

5. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I've wrestled with this one too, though I must admit I have now made the decision not to apply for faith schools. Much will depend on whether this is an SLT post or not, and, for CoE, whether it is VC or VA. In my experience the school are looking to see whether you are able and willing to promote and support a Christian Ethos. In the past I have simply put in my application that I am . At interview I have then spoken about my commitment to the values I share with the relevant faith; compassion, justice, fairness, charity, integrity and truthfulness and also spoken about how I support the children's spiritual needs.... Time for reflection etc. I'm sure , having worked in a Catholic School, you will have lots of experience about which you could speak both in application and at interview..... Good luck.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I believe legally they can't discriminate.
    My suggestion is for you to say something along the lines of 'Whilst being a non-believer personally, you would be prepared to fully support the school's approach to . . . . and value the importance of . . . . (fill in your own comments which you can support.)

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not so, Lara.
    Religious organisations

Certain religious organisations may be allowed to discriminate against people of different religions. This includes faith schools. The organisation must not be commercial, that is, it must be non-profit-making. The discrimination must be necessary:

•for meeting the organisation's religious aims, or
    •to avoid offending those who share its religious aims.

Yes, this type of statement is the only way forward.
    Looking forward to your new thread when you get one of those 19 jobs!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

8. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Did you contribute to faith development of the pupils at that school, to give you something concrete to write about? (e.g. leading morning prayers in form time,accompanying pupils to mass and ecouraging their suitable behaviour there? My school also has a theme of the week (like "peace") that we discuss with pupils in form time - that's always a nice one to include).
    Hope it goes well for you