1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al: Did not get the job but got three more interview.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nebsivy, Jul 10, 2012.

  1. Hi all,
    I went for an interview today and did not get the job. The feedback was ' It was down to the experience, the other candidate had more experience and you should have spoken abit more about independent learning.'
    Lesson was fantastic and students and observer loved it.
    On reaching home, I was called for an interview at another school but then three hours later, I was sent an email for another interview for a college post I applied for (my ideal post) both next week tuesday.
    The college post is 0.5 permanent and the secondary school post is full time. Both interviews are on the same day.
    I am so confused I don't know what to do/say to the college to either do it on Monday or push it forward.
    How do I put it to one of the schools that I really want to attend the interview but have another interview on the same day and will like for them to change their date.
    PS: I have another interview on Friday for an LSA post at a special school. I was getting disheartened and did not want to be without a job in september so I applied for it and they called me for interview.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr please help, suggestions.
     
  2. Hi all,
    I went for an interview today and did not get the job. The feedback was ' It was down to the experience, the other candidate had more experience and you should have spoken abit more about independent learning.'
    Lesson was fantastic and students and observer loved it.
    On reaching home, I was called for an interview at another school but then three hours later, I was sent an email for another interview for a college post I applied for (my ideal post) both next week tuesday.
    The college post is 0.5 permanent and the secondary school post is full time. Both interviews are on the same day.
    I am so confused I don't know what to do/say to the college to either do it on Monday or push it forward.
    How do I put it to one of the schools that I really want to attend the interview but have another interview on the same day and will like for them to change their date.
    PS: I have another interview on Friday for an LSA post at a special school. I was getting disheartened and did not want to be without a job in september so I applied for it and they called me for interview.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr please help, suggestions.
     
  3. catbefriender

    catbefriender Lead commenter

    Sorry about not getting the job today and congrats on getting 3 interviews. Are Tuesdays going to clash?
     
  4. Yes they are and i donot know what to do about it. I really want to do both but can't because of the clash. Suggestions please
     
  5. catbefriender

    catbefriender Lead commenter

    Sorry to hear that. You are going to have to call. But please wait for Theo's advice before you do. I think the FE lot may be more flexible than schools. Hope it works out and you get to do both.
     
  6. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Not Theo I'm afraid but even he cannot make the decision for you. All others can do is point you to some questions to reflect on,so you canmake that balanced decision yourself.
    So, well you're obviously a gifted teacher "Lesson was fantastic and students and observer loved it."and other schools are keen to look at you.
    Have you got timings on the interviews? Are they within travelling distance of each other? Then you could attend both and see how you feel after actually seeing each place.
    Is income an important factor? (In which case can you afford to miss out on the f/t?) Or is the college so fantastic a post that you're willing (and able) to forgo the income?
    At this late stage in the term I think it's unlikely anyone would postpone interviews BUT you never know, if your application impressed enough they might be willing to.
    As to the LSA interview, you really have to consider if you'd be willing to turn it down, if offered, and hope you get either of the (presumably?) teaching posts on the Tuesday, or be willing to be without a job come next year.
    If it's any consolation I've applied for an LSA post which has a closing date of today and unexpectedly a teaching post has been advertised with a closing date of next Monday. IF I were offered an interview I'd have the same problem, but wouldn't know if I'd even be offered an interview for the teaching post.
    Just ramblings I'm afraid, but perhaps it may help you focus on what are YOUR priorities.
    Hopefully Theo will be along later to give his expert ideas.
     
  7. Thanks Lara,
    Waiting for Theo's expert advice as well. I will try to contact the FE college and see if they are willing to change the dat. The schools are not within reach of each other. The fe one starts at midday.
     
  8. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Oh well done on those interviews!
    Jolly well done!
    Now schools and colleges don't like changing dates - and in particular they do not like changing dates to later, as it means making all the other candidates wait.
    So if you ask for a date move, at least ask for it earlier
    As for which job you should take if you get offered both . . . only you can decide. But in case you are in that happy situation, here's the general advice:
    Fingers crossed!
    Best wishes
    ________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please click here or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
     
  9. Thanks for the reply Theo, you are always a star at making one see reason.
    I am thinking of asking fe college to move theirs to Monday if they donot mind. However, how do I put it to them? what do I say is the reason for asking them to move it?
    Thanks and best regards to all
     
  10. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Ring them up, say which job it is, tell them that you have another job interview that clashes, but theirs is your favourite so could they please see you on Monday, as you don't want to miss the chance of this job but don't want to ask for the interview later as this will be difficult for other candidates.
    Best wishes
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme click here or contact Julia on advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions
     
  11. catbefriender

    catbefriender Lead commenter

    Theo is a genius. Would NEVER in a million years come up with that. Aren't we blessed to have him? Sure is worth the wait, hearing from 'The Oracle' is it not?
     
  12. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Thoroughly agree!
     
  13. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Wish Mrs TG thought that. [​IMG]
    But if you'd like to tell my boss, so that she continues to ask me to do the Forums, feel free to e-mail her:
    gail.robinson@tes.co.uk
    I'd hate to lose my job because they thought I wasn't any use . . .[​IMG]
    Best wishes
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme click here or contact Julia on advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions
     
  14. catbefriender

    catbefriender Lead commenter

    Dear Ms Robinson
    Re: Theo on Jobseekers
    Thanks for giving us Theo to help us with the trials and tribulations of job hunting.
    Not only is he a great source of insider knowledge, he is also a very caring person who is admired and appreciated by us all.
    User name: Catbefriender
    SENT!
    Now where's my fiver?
     
  15. Thanks all for your suggestions.
    Theo, you are a star.
    I called school A and they said they will get back to me but didnt yesterday. They however emailed me today to say that headteacher had to go somewhere on Tuesday morning so interview is in the afternoon. That means I cannot evern attend that for school 2 if I wanted to do both as school 2 has theirs from midday.
    I called school 2 (fe college) if I could get an earlier time but they too said they could not change the times as the panel have already been informed.
    That leaves me with no choice but to choose between the schools. I am still thinking which one is best for me but cannot make up my mind. I have only done 2/3 terms of nqt and will love to finish it ie if I get the job from school 1. If I get school 2 I will be elated but then it does not allow me to complete my nqt as it is an fe college.
    Meanwhile I had my LSA interview today and they said will call me either today or Monday to give me the good(hopefully)/bad news.
    I know you can't tell me which school to choose and that but if you were the one , what will you do? keen to here your ideas.
    Thanks and kind regards to the family (I think you are my family all you good people)
    nonelikeu.
     

Share This Page