1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al - can I ever forgive myself?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, May 7, 2012.

1. I know I swore I wouldn't do it but I have. Oh horrors I've applied for a cover supervisor job and am even considering applying for a HLTA job. Good job I have no mirrors - how could I look myself in the eye.
    It's just the ASDA thing - getting up at 05:00, slogging away and all for the princely sum of £6.28 per hour. Don't get me wrong everyone, I am extremely grateful as this kept me solvent and sane in my darkest days.
    Now it just seems a complete waste of my abilities (sorry didn't mean that to sound big headed couldn't think of better phrase).

2. I know I swore I wouldn't do it but I have. Oh horrors I've applied for a cover supervisor job and am even considering applying for a HLTA job. Good job I have no mirrors - how could I look myself in the eye.
    It's just the ASDA thing - getting up at 05:00, slogging away and all for the princely sum of £6.28 per hour. Don't get me wrong everyone, I am extremely grateful as this kept me solvent and sane in my darkest days.
    Now it just seems a complete waste of my abilities (sorry didn't mean that to sound big headed couldn't think of better phrase).

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, I do not agree with you.
    I think HLTA jobs are, in fact, very good. You have the contact with pupils, you can see how you make a difference, support their learning and their futures, but with a lot less hassle than being the teacher.
    Yes, I know: it's a lot less money too, but there are those who say that it's worth it for the improved lifestyle.
    Best wishes.

4. Aaarggh my English is slipping again. What I meant to say is now I feel the ASDA is a waste of my abilities.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A different kettle of fish!
    But a CS or HTLA job can be good - and you can use it as continuos professional development - keep a leraning diary of what you learn from watching other teachers, and doing things yourself, and mention it in teaching applications.
    Best wishes.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree, from the point of view of potential future employment as a teacher, some post within education, at whatever levelwill surely be better tahn something outside. I know I'm considering anything just to stay within education.

7. As a primary teacher I am doing nursery nursing work.. again at the amazing rate of £7PH with 10 hour days and half hour lunch break..!!
    but my thinking is it is still involving children/education etc so gritting my teeth until I am able to get a teaching job!
    Good luck x

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

No need to feel any shame SS. You are applying for a job and thats an honourable thing to do.
    Good luck.

9. <font size="2">I have been a Cover Supervisor in a primary school for about 6 years. My role has changed along with the school. At the beginning I and a colleague were covering teacher absence, courses, NQT time along with some PPA cover from Nursery to year 6. On occasions we were required to take a class with only 10 mins notice to look through planning and gather resources. I must add that we were supported by some fantastic TAs. Everyday was different, exciting, stressful and fulfilling.</font>
    <font size="2">The needs of the school have since changed and I now cover all PPA in nursery, reception and year 1, along with some NQT cover. I am in class for 4 1/2 days a week with half a day for planning. I know the names of about 240 children and really enjoy my work.</font><font size="2">But then again the needs of the school may change again and my role may change. Good job I can adapt.</font><font size="2">I find my role very fulfilling, even though it is for a lot less pay than teachers, but I don&rsquo;t have all the extra paper work, parents&rsquo; evenings, marking, filing, display, learning journeys etc to do.</font> <font size="2">Thanks to all the fantastic Teacher and TAs I have worked with over the years, I could not have done any of it without you all and thanks to the children, they make everyday fun and a challenge. </font>