1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al. Backing out of an accepted job - but not a teaching job, a pastoral job.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by impossibility, Jun 14, 2015.

1. impossibility

impossibility New commenter

So I know it's a big no no to back out of an accepted teaching job, and it's not something I'd intend to do.

However, what is the situation with a support job? I know it's not great to back out of any job, but teaching seems like the worst for this.

I have a pastoral interview early in the week. I am interested in it, but then later in the week I have a teaching interview at an amazing school. I haven't even applied for the teaching job, they are interviewing me based on recommendations, so I don't want to back out and disappoint anyone. If I got the support job and accepted and then later got offered the teaching job, I'd want to accept the teaching job.

Is it acceptable to back out of the support job?

I don't like messing anyone around, I'm just trying to consider all bases as I'm unsure what to do.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Its unacceptable to break a contract for accepting any job, not just in teaching.

If you accept the pastoral job, you cannot go to the interview for the teaching job. You will be misleading the second school who think you are available.

If you really want the teaching job, withdraw from the pastoral interview. The fact they are interviewing you on just recommendations indicates they expect you to attend and accept the post if offered.

Break contract and you will find your name could possibly be mud.

I doubt this is what you want to read, but its the reality. And sadly, someone posted on this forum on Friday bitterly regretting that they broke contract for a job.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I'm afraid that the same applies to ANY job that you accept.

The most that you can do is, if offered the pastoral role, say that you are being interviewed for another role a few days later, could they wait for your answer.

If they find it easier to appoint Pastoral posts, they may allow this, and if not, not.

Do read all the very many interview advice articles, by the way. Many posters say that they have helped them get the job!

Let me know if you don't know where they all are.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. impossibility

Thanks for the replies. My mentor on my PGCE placement said that I could back out because it is pastoral and I didn't think it made much sense nor did I believe it.

If offered it then I will most likely ask if they would wait a few days in this case.

And Theo, I have read everything! Thanks :)

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Doesn't bode well when a "mentor" gives bad advice.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good lass!

Or good lad . . . [​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

7. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Unprofessional and stupid of him/her to suggest this. What an idiot.

Good luck to you, OP, with the interviews.

8. impossibility

Thanks everyone. I emailed my mentor about it before just to check about what to do in that situation and she just replied and reiterated that because non-teaching jobs only need one months notice that it is acceptable to back out of an accepted job, although ideally I should ask for a few days to decide.

I feel bad about the whole thing now, because I got the teaching interview on her recommendation, so I feel she will be disappointed in me if I DON'T back out of the support job now, even though I'd feel awful backing out. I'm going to feel awful either way it seems...

Of course I may not get either of them. That would solve it.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes...not your fault that this mentor is an idiot who was talking utter codswallop.

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"I may not get either of them"

Don't be like that. Be positive. Your mentor hasn'[t a clue, but you have - otherwise, you would not have got those interviews - right?

Good luck!!