1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Essential/Desirable

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Feb 10, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

So I'm applying for a couple of different jobs. One of them I'm not sure to apply for as I have all the desirable qualities they're looking for, and most of the essential, but not <u> all</u> the essential.
    Q1.Is there any point in applying for positions if I don't have all the essential qualities, or would I just be wasting my time and others? I kow that there is very strong competition, so would they just throw my application out, and look at the ones with ALL the essential qualities instead?
    D'oh - why can't I move the jobs to match the area!? So annoying!
    Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes tonight!

2. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Can you do CPD or gain experience on the job to meet the essential criteria? I am sure Theo or Middlemarch will be able to offer sound advice but I would think that if you can show them that you are a strong candidate or offer something extra then they wouls still consider your application.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ha, just by chance I have written this just 30 seconds ago:
    Dear Theo-how to do ES when I don't meet a requirement
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

4. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Thank you all for your advice[​IMG]
    - /No, as application has to bein quite soon, but thanks for the thought, and the reminder about CPD. I always forget I have done morethingsthan I think!
    Thanks Theo[​IMG]! I'lllook overit again.