1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - ES for Leadership Posts

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dinkythecat, Mar 30, 2016.

1. dinkythecat

dinkythecat New commenter

Hi Theo,

First post so please bear with me! I have used a bespoke ES for my previous three job applications (one for the role of KS2 Teacher, one for the role of Year 6 Teacher with Maths Leadership and one for a promoted post of Leader of Year 6 with Maths Leadership and responsibility for More Able pupils achievement.)

After eight years teaching experience, I feel I am now ready to take the step to senior leadership and I am looking at Assistant and Deputy Head posts. However, they can have mammoth person specifications, and rightly so but this can make the ES trickier than a magician's cupboard! I find it quite daunting to try to summarise in such a way to get my summary onto two pages let alone one. I do not include the 'GSOH' or 'Qualified Teacher Status' et al. parts of the person specifications yet I am still struggling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow!

Have I been advising E.S. for that long!

That's a good start! I'll add for others - never try to include GSOH.

If absolutely necessary, you can have 2 sides for SLT position. Better one, of course. :(

Have they got one of those Person specs where they say how it will be assessed? In application/ in reference/ in interview. If so, just keep those in application.

You need to strike out some things; which things are really just trimmings?.

You need to see where you can combine two things that are very similar.

It is a long and arduous task. i helped a friend recently, and it took me 3 hours . . . that was just getting it down to manageable proportions - it was then up to him to find the evidence.

Have you seen this, by the way?

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications

Best wishes

3. dinkythecat

dinkythecat New commenter

Thanks Theo. I am using your template for my new ES. I will definitely use your advice about how each criterion will be assessed and adapt as necessary.

It was a long time ago when I first used your ES; I think it was 2010ish!

Every Head I have spoken to really rates them highly.

Thanks again!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:p

Although, of course, what they rate highly is your superb use of them with the appropriate evidence.

Best wishes

5. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

I am in a similar position to you and applying for my first AHT position.
    I've applied for 2 so far and not got anywhere - I didn't use an executive summary for either.
    I'm applying for 2 more and will be doing an executive summary so hopefully this will help to make the difference.

I've not used the proforma that Theo has put on here. I've just copied the table from the person spec and deleted the E/D for essential / desirable criteria and added in my experiences in this section.

I hope you aren't applying for the same schools as me :)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If s/he is, his/her E.S. will be nice and neat on my pro-forma. ;)

Best wishes to you both

Middlemarch likes this.