1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo : End of another year temp. contract

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by miss_loopyloo, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Hi, I am heading towards the end of another year temp contract with no job to go to in September. I have applied for a number of posts again this year, always including an ES in my application and demonstrating how my 10 years of teaching experience is what a school is looking for but I have not had any response. One school replied only to say that the vacancy was no longer available.

Please could you help with the following?

1: In 2013 I left a position in December after a length of informal capability. I had union support and accepted a sum of money and an agreed reference. Whilst I no longer need to put this school as a reference, I have been putting the leaving reason simply as "contract ended". Should I change this to "personal"?

2: During my current temp contract, I took 5 months of maternity leave (bad timing I know!) Do I need to include this on my application form because, in affect I was still employed at the time...?

3: I am thinking of sending my CV to local school and offering my self as a supply teacher, rather than going through agencies (both agencies I have used in the past insisted on pay through umbrella companies). How far back into my teaching career does my CV need to go and would a school even bother recruiting supply teachers in this manner or is there a better way to go about it?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice!

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am bot sure about the first points, but I imagine that in today's age of CP being at the forefront of everything a school would not employ via a CV.

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

But, you might just arouse the interest of a school who don't wish to pay exorbitant agency fees for their daily supply teaching needs by sending out your CV. I know someone who did just that and gets quite a lot of work from local schools. If a school is interested they will ask you to come in for an informal chat, carry out the necessary safer recruitment procedures: taking up references and a DBS check and then you would be ready to go. Once you have had one DBS check completed you can register for the DBS up-date service (there is a small annual fee) so that any other school in the same LA who wishes to avail themselves of your supply teaching services can carry out a free check using the DBS ID number that you give them.

You'll see from the other 'Career' fora on TES that many teachers who have been forced to leave their permanent posts due to capability proceedings are undertaking supply work.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 I think contract ended is better. Personal can sound as though you couldn't get on with colleagues

Q2 Every year has to be accounted for, so do include it. The suspicion might be that you were in prison.

Q3 Right back to University. Every year has to be accounted for.

Schools which are not Independent, Free or Academies (which means a lot fewer than in the past!) have Statutory Guidance that they should not ask for nor accept CVs for appointments, but get applicants to fill in an application form. Most of the Independent, Free and Academies also insist on this. A CV might, as Dynamo says, get someone interested enough in you to want to see you, if they are interested in having supply teachers not via an agency.

But don't get your hopes up too much. Supply via an agency is a lot less hassle in many cases, so schools do that.

And read this:

Writing speculative letters and sending CVs to schools, just in case . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.