1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - employer reference problem

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by djdpod, Nov 7, 2011.

1. I'm having a real struggle sorting out my reference. I know you have to put down your current/last employer as the first reference. I was last employed in 2005 and was told (by a prospective interviewer) that the school had no record of me. (There has been a complete change of staff, so I wasn't expecting a named reference but assumed there would be one on file).
    I didn't get the job, but have been trying to chase up this situation. I have been in contact with the school and spoke to admin who reiterated there was nothing and passed me onto the LEA. So I have contacted them and whilst they were able to find my records there wasn't any references on their files. However they have advised me that the school are obliged to keep my files until April 2012 next year. So I have gone back to the school and I'm waiting to hear from the current head, however I fear the worst.
    What can I do from here? I have plenty of options for my second reference, I've been raising my family since 2005 and done more voluntary work than you can shake a stick at, including current 'in-school' voluntary work. But it's the employer reference that is blocking any chance of return, and unless that gets sorted I can't see a way in- to any job. I am awaiting the head to call me back and know I have to try and co-operate but I'm actually so angry with the situation and feeling rather desperate now.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How absolutely infuriating!
    I would stay in contact with the LEA and ask them how they are going to resolve the problem caused by poor record-keeping at this school which is prejudicing your chances of gaining employment. The ball is most definitely in their court, and I would be quite firm about pointing that out.
    In any application, I would have a short paragraph saying that you can provide 2 referees from voluntary work, but that the school having lost your records, you are unable at present to provide a referee from there, although the LEA is investigating the matter on your behalf.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I'm guessing that the person who is the head now wasn't when you taught there? Do you know if they have moved to another post or retired? The head at my previous school has retired but she is still prepared to provide a reference for me, as the whole SMT have changed since I was there. Do you have any contact details for anyone who was on the SMT when you worked there, who might be able to contact the prev. head and help you find out?
    I think you might need to try some detective work and see if you can track anyone useful down! Very frustrating though.