1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Dyslexia

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rlh1285, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I recently had an interview and I was unsuccessful. I got lots of useful feedback. One of the things I was told was that my spelling was not great on the written task, I missed mistakes in the child's writing, but didn't make any. Usually, when marking, I keep a dictionary close, and I know I should have taken one to my interview. However, I felt it would have been sour grapes to mention my dyslexia as an excuse. My question is should I mention it on my application, and how?! Thank you, R (I'm sorry about the lack of paragraphs, writing on my mac!)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another time I would take along a dictionary & make sureyour observers see you using it. Then you can turn this to your advantage & say that as dyslexic yourself you understand children who have problems, it's a case of finding 'coping stratgies' to overcome those difficulties, hence for example your bringing along a dictionary.
    I have a friend, a teacher & a very good one at that, who is dyslexic & often makes the comment at the start of a lesson after she's written on the board, 'Right who can be the first to spot Misses' deliberate mistakes?' She shows the children it's OK to make mistakes, & turns it into a teaching exercise, by looking at 'the rules' which children spot in the incorrect spellings or digits in the wrong column!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you had this disappointing experience. But there will be new jobs advertised over the next few weeks, so you will have another chance to get that job.
    I would suggest that you are very open about it, because Dyslexia is a recognised disability that you cannot be discriminated against for having. Link below is for the old DDA - the new Equalities Act also covers dyslexia.
    http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/pages/information/dyslexic-adults/dyslexia-in-the-workplace/the-disability-discrimination-act.php
    An employer is not supposed to take this into account against you when appointing. Very many schools will ask if you need any special provision made for you for the interview. Even if they don't ask this, in accepting the invitation to interview you at this point you could declare your dyslexia and say that you have your own coping strategies and will provide your own dictionary but may need additional time to carry out any task involving reading or writing.
    It would therefore be illegal for them to reject you on the basis of your dyslexia.
    Hope you are reading all the clickables inside the Welcome thread to help you produce a super application!
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oops, Lara! Am I the first?!!!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

5. Thanks Theo and Lara! My dictionary is now number one on my list for interviews! One more question! Should I put it under the DDA part of the form? Thanks!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, because it is.
    Although that part may move as the latest rule is not to have that any more on forms.
    Best wishes!

7. Lara mfl 05

Well spotted Theo! I was too busy deliberating whether it should be Mrs/ Mz/ Miss to notice the poor use of apostrophe.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And a plural . . . pickety tonight, aren't I!

9. Lara mfl 05

Not at all, after all we ask our pupils to produce good quality work.
    BUT it also goes to show how easy it is to overlook one's own mistakes, compared to others' mistakes jumping out of the page at us!
    Plus I've got my head full of Maths at the moment- doing a temporary cover, which isn't really an excuse I know, but the challenge of doing Yr 8 top set many of whom are working at level 6 is proving quite a challenge especially as I haven't done this level for about 6 years!