1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: doing supply but don't want their reference!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Scribbles10, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    Firstly thanks for your last reply. I know this has been asked before but I need to ask again because of my unique circumstances. Hopefully a quick answer is all thats required!
    I am registered with a supply agency but have only done a handful of days for them, however, in that handful of days I have been requested back to schools. So I mentioned this in my application for a permanent post because surely thats good, right? But, i don't want to put the supply agency for a reference as my "current employer" as I know their reference will not be detailed and I have 2 previous heads whom i am pretty sure will write me sparkling references instead! How do I get around this one?
    Thanks in advance

2. As fas as I am aware you shouldn't put a supply agency down as a reference - it doesn't count as an employer and most heads want to see the names of schools where you have worked for more than a couple of days so I would say just stick down the two previous heads. Obviously you'll have to declare that you've been doing supply teaching but I think (and am prepared to stand corrected if I'm wrong) that that's as far as it goes.
    Good luck!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

not quite tue that you shouldn.t put supply agency. they ARE your employer. but best if you have another ref from a school that knows you as agency refs are pretty useless. sorry this is so scruffy i have no computer cos no wifi so am using my kindle. best of luck

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I usually say working as supply teacher for xxxxxxxxx, most recent work in xxxxxx, xxxxx & xxxx schools.