1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Do I Phone Them?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Kittyhime, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,
    Last Friday I attended an interview at a private school and the other candidates and I were informed that, due to the Head travelling, that we would probably not hear back that night but that we should definitely be contated on Monday at the latest. It is now one week later and I still haven't heard anything at all!
    Obviously you should never assume anything but I'm naturally thinking that I was not successful at this point. I really want to know why I wasn't successful but I'm also aware that something could have come up that has meant a delay in the decision process and I don't want to seem rude.
    What should I do?

2. Hi Theo,
    Last Friday I attended an interview at a private school and the other candidates and I were informed that, due to the Head travelling, that we would probably not hear back that night but that we should definitely be contated on Monday at the latest. It is now one week later and I still haven't heard anything at all!
    Obviously you should never assume anything but I'm naturally thinking that I was not successful at this point. I really want to know why I wasn't successful but I'm also aware that something could have come up that has meant a delay in the decision process and I don't want to seem rude.
    What should I do?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No answers I'm afraid, just to say it's a really difficult situation. Theo's expert answer is what you really need.
    Years ago I applied at an Independant school and it did seem to take a long time, before I was notified (I was unsuccessful). 'Indies' always have a lot going on and if the Head is away recruiting students, they might not have a final decision.
    However, is it half-term your way? Perhaps using that as your pretext, you could just phone the secretary and ask if a decision has been made, as you were wondering if the notification had been lost in the post?