1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Do I have too much?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lCatherinel, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

Having just finished another application form and rest of that jazz, I'm a little worried I have too many pages. So the post asked for
    1) A completed application form
    2) A CV, and
    3) A supporting statement of no more than 2 sides

So, I have tried to do as I am told and follow your advice too. This is what I now have:
    2) A CV - this is 2 pages long
    3) A covering letter - This is only 2 sentences but it is all on its lonesome on a page
    4) A supporting statement of 2 sides, and
    5) An executive summary (There was no room in the application form to put this)

So can you see my problem? I appear to have 6 extra pages of my completed application, which is 4 more than I usually have. I have condensed all my extra pages into 1 PDF so I only have to e-mail over the 2 files but I'm just worried about the sheer size of it!
    So, Theo, my question is, Is this too long? and if so, what should I do about it?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you look at it like this
    3 a covering letter which you could almost 'discount' as this will be part of the initial e-mail
    1) completed application form
    2) CV and
    3) supporting statement 2 sides with an additional ES 'tacked on'
    you have done what they asked; 3 files

2) A CV, and

3) A supporting statement of no more than 2 sides.
    However do wait and see what our expert Theo says.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Seems fine to me!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Sounds identical to the job I have just appl;ied for. Never know to ask for CV before and its state. North West Science?

5. Thanks all for your responses.

North West Maths, and they don't appear to be advertising for science at the moment. So not the same school. But at least it isn't as unusual as I thought for a state school...

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Since maintained schools in England and Wales have Statutory Guidance that they shouldn't ask for CVs, this might be an Academy or a Free School.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

7. No just checked - comprehensive - how odd

8. Nope here too... State, voluntary aided - catholic though

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, there you go! They are ignoring Statutory Guidance.
    How brave!
    Could be that they have Academy status in the pipeline . . .
    Best wishes