1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Do I have to resign?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by And100, Mar 2, 2016.

1. And100

And100 New commenter

I will apply for a non-teaching job within the field of education, at the end of the week. The post starts in September. I will speak to my HT regarding references in the next few days.
    I am required to give notice a term before I wish to leave i.e at the end of the Easter holiday to leave in September. This will mean resigning around 8th April. I am likely to leave regardless of whether I am successful with this application, but I am still undecided.
    Is there an obligation for me to resign at this point? Will my HT expect me to do this as I am actively seeking employment and asking her to be a referee? I am not keen resign so early in the application process but will she think I'm being obstructive?
    Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What do you mean by at this point ? Before first day of Summer Term?

If that is what your contract says, and you wish to leave at the leaving date of 31 August, then yes.

But do you mean now?

No, none at all. Circumstances could change in the next month, and you wish to remain. As for the Head, there is absolutely no reason to think that you are being obstructive by not resigning 6 months ahead!

Best wishes

3. And100

And100 New commenter

Sorry to be unclear. I wondered if it was O.K to ask for my HT to be a referee, possibly have to ask for time off for an interview and not actually resign? I don't want to resign now (this week) as like you say, my circumstances may change and I may decide to stay, but I wondered whether this would be acceptable? Will she not question why I am going for other jobs and not resigning so she can replace me?
    Thanks again

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why yes, of course, quite normal!

She will not expect you to resign until you have another job.

However, there are two things to note.

1. You have no right for time off for an interview, so you need to ask very nicely, and say how you'll make it easier for someone to cover your classes. It might be best to ask the other employer if you could be interviewed after school or on a Saturday

2. Your new employer must be made aware that you cannot join until after the end of the summer term. (You may get double pay - and double tax - for a few weeks if you do join before September!).

Just hang tight until the day before term starts . . . unless you get a written job offer before then. Come back and ask me how to word the resignation letter.

Best wishes