1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Do I have the right to a TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sophmic, Oct 3, 2017.

1. sophmic

sophmic New commenter

Dear Theo,

At the start of this school year I was made ICT co-ordinator by the new head in our infant school. Our head retired at the end of last year and before leaving asked me if I would like 'responsibility' for ICT this year, which I said yes too. When the new year started, the new head approached me and asked if I was ICT Lead, to which I replied I am responsible for ICT but not sure what exact responsibilities I have. He responded that if I was interested then I would be ICT Lead/co-ordinator and asked me draw up an action plan as our school is significantly lacking in ICT across the curriculum. Since then I have drawn up the action plan, drawn up lists of resources with prices, introduced online based assessment in our early years, will be leading staff meetings to train staff in new software and resources, will be given leadership time to go through all of Year 1 and Year 2's plans and create an ICT scheme of work for them and monitor the use of ICT throughout the school.

When I asked the head about paying me my TLR he stated that many people are taking on roles "out of the goodness of their heart" and that the school could not afford to pay me for this role.

Having read the NUT criteria for TLR I feel that I am entitled to even the lowest TLR as I am doing everything stated in the criteria list:
    1. is focused on teaching and learning;
    2. requires the exercise of a teacher's professional skills and judgement;
    3. requires the teacher to lead, manage and develop a subject or curriculum area; or to lead and manage pupil development across the curriculum;
    4. has an impact on the educational progress of pupils other than the teacher's assigned classes or groups of pupils; and
    5. involves leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of other staff.

I do not know how to broach the subject again as I am also due to move up a payscale in December as I had finished my NQT year a term late. I also do not have a job description to back me up and I am not sure what I am entitled to as I did not have to apply for the position. I also manage the school website which I am not given time for and so I feel like I am doing 3 jobs for the price of one very cheap teacher!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

In a primary I don't think you'll get a TLR. In our primary nearly all teaching staff have a curriculum responsibility including someone for ICT. Our pay policy precludes paying anyone a TLR unless it's a specific job of work where we can pay a TLR3. Staff numbers in a primary can be so small that you don't have a choice but to lead on a subject - sometimes 2

strawbs likes this.
  3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Agreed - I've never known a primary teacher paid a TLR for ICT leadership. Sometimes for maths and English in a big school, but never anything else.

Running the website is different though - it's essentially an admin job and does not require the skills of a teacher. I would try and get extra time out of class for this, or try to offload it to the office staff if you can. That's the best you can hope for here I think. Sorry.

sfaulk87 likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think that is correct if you happen to be under STPCD rules, which specify that pay changes happen on 1 September unless you move to a new position. Are you in an academy with different rules?

As for you original query, TLRs are determined by the Governors as part of the staffing structure of the school. The criteria you quote, which are lifted from STPCD ( I wouldn't take much notice of union guidance which does not agree with STPCD/Burgundy Book) are requirements for a post to carry a TLR 1 or 2, not a statement that any role which includes these must carry a TLR. However, there ar elimits to what can be expected from you, assuming you are under STPCD. (If you are, I strongly suggest that you should download and read it - we should all be aware of the rules we are employed under.) Paragraph 48 says "Teachers are expected to contribute, both orally and in writing as appropriate, to curriculum development by sharing their professional expertise with colleagues and advising on effective practice. This does not mean that they can be expected to take on the responsibility of, and accountability for, a subject area or to manage other teachers without appropriate additional payment. Responsibilities of this nature should be part of a post that is in the leadership group or linked to a post which attracts a TLR1 or TLR2 on the basis set out in paragraph 20.

Sadly, the advice I would give to anybody asked if they would like to take on a new role is discuss payment for it before agreeing.

wanet likes this.
  5. aflinc

aflinc New commenter

I've friends who teach out side of London who have been doing one of these "out of the goodness of their heart" for the past 13 years! All the while they were given out like sweets if you work in London! I had the lower level TLR 2 offered for ICT back in 2004!!!! I said not unless it was awarded as the upper level TLR 2. This was refused. I booked to look around another school offering the higher level TLR 2 for ICT and surprise surprise, a quick call to the governors and the school changed their mind! I should have left anyway!!! ;-)
    I don't imagine cash strapped schools have any intention of giving them unless they really REALLY REALLY need to retain you. :-( Investment in schools! Hummmm!