1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, disheartened

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nebsivy, May 2, 2012.

1. Deall all,
    Having left my job in March hlafway through my NQT due to not meeting standards......., I feel so awefull. I literally want to burst out crying right now after applying for so many jobs and not getting interviews. I still feel so upset about what happened during my nqt induction as the school's way of support was to mount so much pressure on me by constantly spying on me and very little support in behaviour management which was my main issue.
    Many jobs have come up in my area but I am feeling so low that I don't even have the zeal to apply again.
    Sorry for ranting but I needed to say this to get it off my chest.
    I suppose schools will not give it a second thought if they realise that I have left my job halfway through on the application form..
    [​IMG]

2. Deall all,
    Having left my job in March hlafway through my NQT due to not meeting standards......., I feel so awefull. I literally want to burst out crying right now after applying for so many jobs and not getting interviews. I still feel so upset about what happened during my nqt induction as the school's way of support was to mount so much pressure on me by constantly spying on me and very little support in behaviour management which was my main issue.
    Many jobs have come up in my area but I am feeling so low that I don't even have the zeal to apply again.
    Sorry for ranting but I needed to say this to get it off my chest.
    I suppose schools will not give it a second thought if they realise that I have left my job halfway through on the application form..
    [​IMG]

3. I feel for you. I think you have to do NQT first? sorry dont know the system-cant u redo? What was the beahviour policies of the school? Theo will advise-might have to rethink options like us-there must be a way through it?

4. mcphie58

mcphie58 New commenter

It must have been tough on you...
    with regards to application form teaching posts always have accompanying person specifications - sometimes running into 4 or more pages! When shortlisting if a candidate meets the criteria laid out in person specification then they are short-listed for interview. As a NQT if may be you need to re-do your induction year. Now is a good time for NQT's to look for posts. Don't give up on the applications just be certain you are applying for posts where you meet the criteria. Often they will specify 'suitable for NQT's'
    I hope this is of some help - try not to be too hard on yourself - teaching is tough and there are all kninds of schools out there

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually my advice is a little different from what you might be expecting.
    The first thing that you need to do is to get your health right; at the moment you are clearly unwell, totally worn out by your horrid experience. Have you been to talk to your doctor?
    The second thing is to get yourself a job, but not a teaching job just yet, that's too stressful. You need to have a job which is pleasant, where you can begin to re-build your confidence, to see what strengths you have, to see how you can be a valued part of a work team. I would suggest that you have a look at the Local Authority website to see if any TA jobs are coming up, and also look at this document:
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/careers/assets/documents/Alternativestoteaching.pdf
    And then, once you have regained both your health and your self-confidence, only then should you start applying for jobs to complete your induction year. Applying now while you are still so down will not be successful, and will only make you feel worse.
    Look after yourself first and foremost.
    Best wishes