1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... dilemma!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by superewok, Mar 19, 2011.

1. superewok

superewok New commenter

Hi Theo. I'll try to be concise... I'm sure you have answered this in another post and I will be utilising all of your fab advice for my job application but felt I should post with my specific dilemma.
    I am applying for my second teaching position in London (first TLR position after teaching 3 years in Y5/6) and will be completing a standard council application form. No guidance has been given on whether the school wishes to receive supporting statement, letters of application or just the application form and a v. brief cover letter (I don't think it will be the latter.) Perhaps this in itself is part of the selection process! Use of initiative!
    I think I have a few options and would like your guidance as to which one is most appropriate and hopefully successful.
    The form has a section which states
    Please use this space or the attached form (where supplied) to tell us how you meet the job requirements. You must address the criteria listed on the enclosed person specification for shortlisting purposes. Do not attach a CV as it will not be considered. Please refer to the guidance notes on ‘Applying for a Job’ and use separate sheets if necessary. Should I...
    1. Complete the section in the application form with a supporting statement and enclose brief cover letter/possible exec summary separate.
    2. Complete the section on the application form with a supporting statement and write letter of application. This seems very, very repetitive!
    3. Put executive summary in the section on the application form and write letter of application.
    I am leaning towards option 3. Only worry is the school has not requested this.... but then again they haven't really requested anything but the application form.
    Thanks for your help Theo! This is my dream job so I really want to get it right!

2. superewok

superewok New commenter

Thanks Theo. I thought the letter was expected. Your advice makes me feel a lot more at ease with my application.
    I'm going for the exec summary on the form and full letter of application (again to demonstrate how I meet the person spec but in more detail... if that makes sense.) I'm plumping for Arial for the letter - no Comic Sans here!
    I am visiting the school tomorrow :eek:)
    Will let you know how application goes! Thanks again.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sounds good - best of luck!______________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. superewok

superewok New commenter

Well, I got shortlisted! But didn't get the job! :(
    Head's feedback was that I came across very well in interview, and had lots of great ideas and 'done my research' but that they plumped for a teacher with more experience (already had TLR). Oh well!
    Disappointing but very positive experience that I will take forward to my next application. I am now in the process of applying for a couple more jobs and will use the same strategy (letter of application and exec summary.) Fingers crossed next time I can secure a position!
    Thanks Theo.

5. Sorry you didn't get the job, but thaks for posting..
    I've just sent in an application that specifically said "only information contained within this application form will be used for shortlisting purposes". I therefore used the space provided for my personal statement and then sent a covering letter with my exec summary.
    Gutted... I'm guessing I got it wrong! But will know for next time...

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As you say, disappointuing but positive experience.
    Onwards and upwards!
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!