1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - dilemma!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Feb 2, 2011.

  1. Hi Theo
    Firstly, thanks for your help and advice over the past couple of weeks. I now have a dilemma which I would like some advice on.
    I applied for a job that I really liked the look of, that had a closing date of yesterday.
    I have since visited another school and was shown round in a small group by the deputy head as the headteacher wasn't there. The head called me tonight to ask what I thought of it, if I had any questions and if I would be applying. We talked for a little over 10 mins about the school, my experience, the role etc. and I feel like I really want that job. I got such a good vibe, both from the visit and the phone call. I've never had a headteacher call me in this way before, and have no idea whether this is unusual or not.
    My dilemma is this:
    I presume that if I get shortlisted for Job 1, that the interview date will be before I hear if I'm shortlisted for Job 2. If I didn't get Job 2, I'd love Job1, but I feel that I have more scope with Job 2 to really enjoy the role (a different role to Job 1).
    Given that if I could choose, I'd want Job 2, do I still go through the process with Job 1 until I know what's happening? I might not even be shortlisted for Job 1, in which case I won't need to worry - but is is there any way that I can tell Job 2 that I do want their job but have applied for another one previously?
    I'm so confused - especially after that phone call tonight!! (I don't even know if this posting makes sense... sorry)
    Any advice would be very welcome.
    Thanks,
    sparkly.
     
  2. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    My advice, for what it's worth, would be to wait & see.
    1 You may not get a interview at School A.
    2 You might feel different about school A after you've visited.
    3 School B might not look quite so rosy after 'you've slept on it'.
    You could still attend an interview at School A but pull out if you want to, when they ask 'Are you still a firm candidate for this post?
     
  3. thanks.
    I have visited the first school prior to sending in my application. I liked it enough to want to apply there. But now feel that now I've seen the second one, I prefer that one.
    You are right of course, I might not be invited to interview for the first one. I just wouldn't know what to do if I did.
    Things might look clearer in the morning. Or I might still be confused [​IMG]
     
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    OK. I wouldn't normally say this, but then that phonecall from the HT isn't normal either.
    Put in your application for School 2 asap. ASAP.
    If you then get an interview for School 1, contact School 2 immediately, tell them the interview date, say that they are your preferred school, and is there any chance that you might be shortlisted, and if so, would there be an interview soon?
    The ball is then in their court, not yours.
    They know that if you get offered the job in A, you cannot afford to turn it down, with teacher unemployment being what it is. They also know that you cannot accept it, and then turn it down because they offer you a job later. The very most could be asking School A to give you 24 hours thinking time, if B interviewed you the next day. (But if they knew yoiu had an interview the next day, School A might not give you the 24 hours . . .).
    Finges crossed.
    Best of luck!
    ____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Workshops I'm doing that still have vacancies are on Sunday 13th and Friday 25th February. There is also a specialist Workshop for applications to SLT on Saturday February 19th.
    Go to https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6060678 for more details of these and other seminars.
    Look forward to seeing you!
     
  5. Thank you Theo, that's very helpful.
    I'm just finishing up my application tonight so that I can drop it in tomorrow morning. Only trouble now is my executive summary is still too long (it was the one with the very long person spec) so I need to try to condense it further.
    You were right - doing the ES first does help with writing my supporting statement!
    Thanks again,
    sparkly
     
  6. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    I like Theo's advice. He's right the phone call is unusual & I would never have dared to suggest phoning but hey 'nothing ventured nothing gained'.
    Best of luck!
     

Share This Page