1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Dilemma - should I still apply?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by naomicope, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Dear Theo and Others
    I am an NQT (qualified last year) currently looking for my first job. I have had a fair few interviews which have mostly gone well but been unsuccessful. I am obviously very disappointed that I don't yet have a job for September especially at this late stage.
    However on Tuesday a last minute job came up. I got the details and applied. Yesterday I got a call asking if I would like to visit the school today (Saturday!). I visited the school and found out some details that weren't in the original email from the school. This is where my dilemma lies. The job is 2 days in Year 5, one day in Year 4 and one day cover. The job is also only temporary for one year. I am slightly concerned about this as I wouldn't be based in one class. I liked the school and the staff I met seemed friendly.
    My question is: Should I withdraw my application (because it seems a bit odd) or should I just go for it on the basis it is a teaching job, I would complete my NQT Year and if I don't take it I would probably have to give up on being a teacher
    Sorry for the long winded post. Hope it makes sense. I would be grateful if anybody could offer any ideas and/or suggestions. Thanks.

2. Go for it - I accepted a similar post and it has led to a new post teaching my own class. Good luck.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Everything I could say has been very well said above by others. The only thing to add is that I can see this as a very strong basis for applying for other posts. You could write an extremeley effective application highlighting your flexibility, your team work, self-reliance, etc in this post.
    And of course the other thing to say is:
    I look forward to reading your next thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.