1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- Difficulty in geting a job after my last and first post.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MWC15, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Thanks for the advice I will get cracking on it straight away!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. So you are having difficulty finding employment due to epilepsy.
    This does not surprise me. Local authorities and schools are generally unsympathetic and unhelpful to teachers with uncontrollable health problems. The general ignorance surrounding epilepsy is profound and the situation is not getting any better. Basically you are in a very difficult position. Some schools can deal with epilepsy and some cannot.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have battled with epilepsy for over 20 years and I would say that when I started out as a teacher it was not an issue. It is now because children may be frightened were you (or I) to have a seizure.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No, your inability to secure interviews/employment has very little to do with any epilepsy factors or your time off work.
    You need to follow the advice above, I always recommend being 'upfront' and saying how these problems are no longer a case for concern and have enabled your teaching to benefit.
    It's just the whole employment problem at present.