1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo....didn't get the job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by japonica892, Mar 15, 2012.

1. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

Hi Theo
    Well got shortlisted for a fab job at an indy school and thought everything went really well. Lost out due to lack of A level experience (it was an HOD job which I already am but this was better!) I have taught in an 11-16 school since qualifying and this is always my problem when wanting to move on. How can I get A level experience? Do I just have to become a teacher in a school that offers it for the experience. Can I be an examiner without actually teaching it.....I feel trapped!
    On the plus side I had fantastic feedback from the interview and that was the only thing that let me down...the successful candidate was an A level examiner.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In the Olden Days you could teach in evenings at your local tech - but they do very little of that now.
    Dunno - ask and see. Ask all 3 boards.
    But, they DID shortlist you, knowing that you don't have this experience, so it wasn't entirely impossible in their view to appoint you without this experience.
    Hmn. Not sure that a backwards move would be very good for you . . .
    Have you thought of doing AS with a few bright sparks in your current school? As an extra-curricular activity even? Or asking your Head if you could be seconded for half a day a week to the local Sixth Form College - subject to their agreement, of course - to teach a bit?
    Try the examinaing route first, though. And good news about that very positive feedback!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, disappointing for you. But you had a good experience, super feedback and you know how to improve for the next one.