1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- didn't get the job what to make of feedback

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by f.a.b, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi,
    So I didn't get the job, despite feeling I performed well. I was told to email for detailed feedback but on the phone I was told for my lesson I could have given the students more time, however it was already a 20min lesson so I feel that's not a good feedback. Am I wrong or right? what could I learn from this for future interviews?
    Furthermore, I had my interview directly after my lesson, whereas other candidates had breaks in between and so I was a bit out of breath and 'rushed' and I did mention it at the start of my interview. *sigh* oh well, I just hope something else comes up soon for me as I feel like I have a lot to offer and just want to TEACH
    Thanks for all your help and advice though Theo and everyone else too.

2. Hi,
    So I didn't get the job, despite feeling I performed well. I was told to email for detailed feedback but on the phone I was told for my lesson I could have given the students more time, however it was already a 20min lesson so I feel that's not a good feedback. Am I wrong or right? what could I learn from this for future interviews?
    Furthermore, I had my interview directly after my lesson, whereas other candidates had breaks in between and so I was a bit out of breath and 'rushed' and I did mention it at the start of my interview. *sigh* oh well, I just hope something else comes up soon for me as I feel like I have a lot to offer and just want to TEACH
    Thanks for all your help and advice though Theo and everyone else too.

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

To be honest, that feedback sounds as there was not anything "wrong" with you, They just prefered someone else. Sometimes that happens.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Correct.
    Nothing whatsoever.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Feedback is very rarely for your benefit, it's for theirs, to just get you off their back.
    Appointing a candidate is sometimes a clear-cut experience. there is one person who is obviously better, and the others each have a (usually minor) disadvantage.
    But very often, appointing someone is like falling in love. I know, I know, you've heard me say this before! You fall in love with someone, but blowed if you can explain why. Same can happen with appoointments; there are two or three excellent candidates, any one of whom could do the job extremely well. But somehow, you don't know why, one just clicks with the panel. They cannot explain to themselves what it is, anymore than you can say why you love X not Y. And they can't explain to the rest of you why you weren't chosen either.
    So don't take the feedback as meaning anything than "There was nothing wrong with your performance on the day. Nothing at all".
    And start looking for the next job to apply for.
    Best wishes

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, disappointing f.a.b
    Don't worry about the feedback. Take heart
    1 You <u>were</u> invited to interview.
    2 You 'survived' the rushed interview straight after the lesson.
    3 You now have 'experience' under your belt for next time.
    Take a quick dekko on Flowers . . ..

6. Your posts are really comforting to read. Thank you.
    It's just difficult when the family doesn't understand and think you should a) do extra courses/study b) give up teaching and start a new job in your subject field or C) start having kids!
    I'm not against starting a family but still young and ideally would like to get my nqt done!
    Hopefully I WILL be posting a 'I got the job' thread this year, I'm trying to be really positive this year!
    Thank you all once again and especially Theo for your advice and help.