1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, didn't get the job, surprise surprise,....not

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gaguy, Jun 7, 2011.

1. As I feared, I did not get the job, and I am pretty convinced it was a mock interview....
    The interview went very well, the governors seemed happy with what I did over the past three months, they also said they were impressed with the positive impact I had on pupils and all the colleagues (who ALL wrote and signed a letter of support/reference for my application). At the end, of the interview, they asked if I had any question. I asked what profile they were looking for, one of the governors replied you are what we are looking for!!!!And yet, I did not get it.
    I know I may sound very bitter here, but it does show that often it is not what you know but who you know that matters. As I said in a previous post, the head promised the job to someone else, the mother of a former pupil and gave me the interview due to the uproar of the staff and to the fact that my short term contract mentioned that I could apply for the permanent position.
    At the time, the excuse he gave me was that they'd prefer a native speaker. Now that I had the interview and that they realised that I had no accent whatsoever when I speak English and that they can't use this as a reason, he is saying that my qualification is secondary and the other person has a primary teaching qualification. I know you may say, it is fair enough, however, the essential criteria of the job advert was a teaching qualification and a minimum of four years teaching experience at primary level. Now I have seven years of teaching experience at primary level and eleven years of teaching experience from primary to university level. The person who got the job qualified in September, so has one or two years teaching experience at primary level.( the advert was in December,so had three months experience at the time of the application,)
    I am feeling really low and angry at the same time. Especially, when I think about what he said this afternoon when he told me the bad news: you were perfect, we can't fault you on any aspect of the job, do not consider this a failure, you never know , there may be another position and you will be able to apply again.....blabla bla bla..... the whole process is so unfair, and I am aware I may sound like a spoilt brat. However I genuinely think that I got robbed in a way and that no matter how good a teacher you are, it does not make a difference. What matters is trivial and nowadays to make it worse (which was not the case in this school as no scale, but independent wage), schools have budget cuts and are looking for nqts, so being on M6,I don't stand a chance.
    Anyway, spoilt brat that I am , will not go to the headteacher leaving do tomorrow evening, can't face pretending whilst all I want to do is crying. I will probably be exhausted anyway making sure that the children do not realise how I feel....
    Thank you anyway for your help, had a look at the TES and hardly anything matching my teaching skills and experience.....
    Kind regards.

2. As I feared, I did not get the job, and I am pretty convinced it was a mock interview....
    The interview went very well, the governors seemed happy with what I did over the past three months, they also said they were impressed with the positive impact I had on pupils and all the colleagues (who ALL wrote and signed a letter of support/reference for my application). At the end, of the interview, they asked if I had any question. I asked what profile they were looking for, one of the governors replied you are what we are looking for!!!!And yet, I did not get it.
    I know I may sound very bitter here, but it does show that often it is not what you know but who you know that matters. As I said in a previous post, the head promised the job to someone else, the mother of a former pupil and gave me the interview due to the uproar of the staff and to the fact that my short term contract mentioned that I could apply for the permanent position.
    At the time, the excuse he gave me was that they'd prefer a native speaker. Now that I had the interview and that they realised that I had no accent whatsoever when I speak English and that they can't use this as a reason, he is saying that my qualification is secondary and the other person has a primary teaching qualification. I know you may say, it is fair enough, however, the essential criteria of the job advert was a teaching qualification and a minimum of four years teaching experience at primary level. Now I have seven years of teaching experience at primary level and eleven years of teaching experience from primary to university level. The person who got the job qualified in September, so has one or two years teaching experience at primary level.( the advert was in December,so had three months experience at the time of the application,)
    I am feeling really low and angry at the same time. Especially, when I think about what he said this afternoon when he told me the bad news: you were perfect, we can't fault you on any aspect of the job, do not consider this a failure, you never know , there may be another position and you will be able to apply again.....blabla bla bla..... the whole process is so unfair, and I am aware I may sound like a spoilt brat. However I genuinely think that I got robbed in a way and that no matter how good a teacher you are, it does not make a difference. What matters is trivial and nowadays to make it worse (which was not the case in this school as no scale, but independent wage), schools have budget cuts and are looking for nqts, so being on M6,I don't stand a chance.
    Anyway, spoilt brat that I am , will not go to the headteacher leaving do tomorrow evening, can't face pretending whilst all I want to do is crying. I will probably be exhausted anyway making sure that the children do not realise how I feel....
    Thank you anyway for your help, had a look at the TES and hardly anything matching my teaching skills and experience.....
    Kind regards.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, dear, dear! How disappointing.
    But you have managed to present your strengths very effectively to the panel. And you have acted very professionally throughout, including with the children.
    Believe in yourself as a good teacher and a good person.
    Then sit down and pig out . . .
    [​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. that does sound like a really awful experience, I feel for you. You certainly deserve chocolate and of course a nice glass of wine... I know myself how difficult it is to pretend to be ok in front of children when you're so upset. The important thing is though that you need to move on from this, feel proud that you did so very well in the interview and obviously in the job you've done, and realise that therefore you will get another job! Good luck!

5. Sorry to hear this and sorry that you feel so awful. In all fairness if a school is willing to treat someone in this way perhaps you are better off not working there - although perhaps it doesn't feel like that at the time. I guess the diffcult thing is that none of us are ever privvy to the selection process and how other candidates did so the way something 'might look' isn't always the reality. A tricky situation - I understand totally how you feel at the moment but ask yourself if the school is right for you if that is how they have made you feel? :-(

6. Bless you, you poor thing. Sounds like they lead you right up the garden path AND opened the gate for you.
    I'm struggling too being M4 and there are loads of NQTs applying around here at the moment.
    "You were great, it was very close, maybe the role isn't challenging enough for you due to your experience etc...."
    I then discover the trainee got the job. I even had a friend who is a TA, tell me she overheard something in the staffroom along the lines of "She was ideal, don't get me wrong but times are hard and at the end of the day". Can you imagine I was there ALL day for this application process.
    I'm now applying for management roles (don't really want to!) but feel I haven't a choice.
    I think it's especially poor them mentioning the 'native speaker' thing.That was lame.

7. I totally know where you are coming from. I am on MPS 6 and I am looking for a permenant teaching job. I have been for a few interviews this year and I always loose out to people on their PGCE's. I wonder whether my experience counts for anything these days. I live in South Wales where there is very little movement and too many people chasing the few jobs that do come up. Money is always going to be a massive issue at the moment, and I do appreciate that, but I would rather not be called for interview at all, if in the end they are always going to appoint the nqt. I too, am now looking at Head of Dept jobs, thinking I may stand a better chance.

I went for one interview - a maternity cover - at a school where the job advert specified that they wanted an experienced teacher because it was starting mid-term. I thought my luck might be in, but when I got to the interview, there was me, a teacher who had 3 years experience and an NQT. We went in to see the Head at the start of the day and she said "This is a wonderful school, but we have no money. Is anyone an NQT, we offer amazing support" I wanted to leave there and then. Needless to say, the NQT got the job. When they gave me feedback, I asked why the other candidate got the job over me, and the deputy head just shrugged.

Its very disheartening and you just have to plod on. Its never anything personal, and don't ever let it put you off.