1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ThisCharmingMan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I attended an interview for a Primary class teacher position recently. The final question I was asked was, "would you take the job if it were offered?" and I said, "yes". The school interviewed over two days and I was interviewed on the 1st day so it was 24 hours before I received the call that I had got the job. During those 24 I realised I simply wasn't sure that I wanted to work in this school. There were a couple of things that came out during the interview that made me think this might not be the school for me. However, I was worried that I would antagonise the Head by turning down the offer after I'd said in the interview I'd take the job if it were offered.

I ended up politely declining the job when the call came through and told the Head I simply wasn't 100% sure I wanted to work there. She agreed with me it was better to say, "no" now than live to regret my decision. She seemed very friendly and wished me well in finding a suitable position elsewhere.

Given all of the above do you think there is any need to worry that this Head might contact others in the area to warn them I turned down a job after saying in the interview I'd take it?

I didn't visit the school before the interview as I live 100 miles away. Had I done so, I might have thought twice about attending the interview. That said, I'm looking to move to the new area for personal reasons so I'm going to have the same problem of not being able to attend a school visit wherever I apply in that city.

Thanks in advance.

2. I attended an interview for a Primary class teacher position recently. The final question I was asked was, "would you take the job if it were offered?" and I said, "yes". The school interviewed over two days and I was interviewed on the 1st day so it was 24 hours before I received the call that I had got the job. During those 24 I realised I simply wasn't sure that I wanted to work in this school. There were a couple of things that came out during the interview that made me think this might not be the school for me. However, I was worried that I would antagonise the Head by turning down the offer after I'd said in the interview I'd take the job if it were offered.

I ended up politely declining the job when the call came through and told the Head I simply wasn't 100% sure I wanted to work there. She agreed with me it was better to say, "no" now than live to regret my decision. She seemed very friendly and wished me well in finding a suitable position elsewhere.

Given all of the above do you think there is any need to worry that this Head might contact others in the area to warn them I turned down a job after saying in the interview I'd take it?

I didn't visit the school before the interview as I live 100 miles away. Had I done so, I might have thought twice about attending the interview. That said, I'm looking to move to the new area for personal reasons so I'm going to have the same problem of not being able to attend a school visit wherever I apply in that city.

Thanks in advance.

3. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I think you have nothing to worry about, but PM if you would like my experience and opinion on this. x

4. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

If the Head seemed friendly/OK about it then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If she seemed OK about it and has actually gone around telling people to avoid employing you, then just think - would you want to work for her?
    I am having similar worries to yourself - looking to move to the other side of the country and applying to schools that I've never heard of. You can only know when you get there if it's for you or not, and if you think it wasn't then you've made the right choice.

5. Thanks for the replies.

PinkHelen, you're right, I wouldn't want to work for anyone who contacted local Heads to warn them against employing me. Unfortunately, I've heard too many warnings/horror stories to just dismiss the possibility.

Good luck with finding a job!

6. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

I know, I worry too - I withdrew from an interview a couple of weeks ago and although I did it as gracefully as I could (thanks for shorlisting me and thanks for your time e.t.c.) I did worry that I'd been blacklisted in the area. I've since got 2 interviews though, so I guess they didn't. I think it's only if you accept the job and then turn around and change your mind that they will be angry, otherwise I think Heads are generally quite accepting - they've probably been in a similar position themselves.
    I hope your job hunt goes well too!

7. It'll be fine and she won't be annoyed because she will have rung you first to offer it and then been able to ring the second favourite after. If you'd said yes on the phone, then she'd called all the others to say they were unsucessful, then you said no ... That would annoy her!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

<ol>[*]You have acted perfectly reasonably.[*]You have acted perfectly legally.[*]You have acted perfectly professionally.</ol>
    Goodness me - she has got better things to do wuth her time than that! And anyway, read what I wrote at the top . . .
    Not every school even invites you to visit beforehand. Most secondaries don't, nor independent schools. You just have to get a feel on the interview day. But read this:
    School visits
    I do not think you have anything to worry about. And a lot to congratulate yourself on:
    <ol>[*]getting shortlisted[*]getting offered the post[*]avoiding taking up a job that was not suitable for you[*]being professional in communicating this</ol>Well done on all 4 counts!
    Best wishes