1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Diagnosed with cancer and now have job interview.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shelby_brum, Feb 11, 2012.

1. shelby_brum

shelby_brum New commenter

I was told I had cancer just before Christmas after having a major op. They are still trying to give me a final diagnosis but know I will have to have chemo that will end June/July time and they are confident it will be successful so I won't need further treatment.
    I applied for a job that starts in September and have just found out I have an interview but on the application form there was no space to put about absence/sickness so they are not aware of my condition.
    I am unsure how I should bring this up at the interview, or even if I should at all? Also due to this my absence levels are very high which I guess will go against me too.
    Would appreciate some advice, as I am really keen on getting this job but don't want to mess it up regarding my illness.

2. shelby_brum

I was told I had cancer just before Christmas after having a major op. They are still trying to give me a final diagnosis but know I will have to have chemo that will end June/July time and they are confident it will be successful so I won't need further treatment.
    I applied for a job that starts in September and have just found out I have an interview but on the application form there was no space to put about absence/sickness so they are not aware of my condition.
    I am unsure how I should bring this up at the interview, or even if I should at all? Also due to this my absence levels are very high which I guess will go against me too.
    Would appreciate some advice, as I am really keen on getting this job but don't want to mess it up regarding my illness.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck, and hope this can be a new beginning full of health & hapiness for you. I'm sure Theo will be along with some actual advice but will keep my fingers crossed the interview (and everything) goes well x

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview - and you in a difficult situation too, with first the major op and then all the stress and worry about the cancer diagnosis.
    You really have done EXTREMELY well!
    And don't worry about the fact that you are unwell for the job. Cancer is covered under the equality act, they may not discriminate against you for this reason for appointment. On the other hand, the Head has a legal obligation to ensure that teachers appointed are Fit to Teach.
    Here's a thread with a long, long answer all about this.
    Dear Theo: should I mention illness during an interview? You'll see, by the way, that the person concerned actually got the job!
    So basically you need to be honest, but upbeat about this. You might like to make it clear that you are covered by the Equality Act, perhaps by, for instance, e-mailing and saying that you will need something or other on the day - plenty of water to drink, for example, but will bring your own. Say that your treatment will be finished by June and from the beginning of the summer holidays you will be 100% fit. This could set the situation out clearly. Think about it.
    We are all here on this Forum a very friendly lot, and everyone is wishing you all the very best in your job interview and in your treatment. A Big Hug from all of us - and go to the end of the Flowers Thread to see what TES-interflora has delivered!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

5. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Also just wanted to wish you lots of luck for the interview, and your treatment. Hoping that you can have a fresh start in September. x

6. shelby_brum

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes, and the flowers, they made me smile!
    One thing I forgot to add though is that I am currently signed off work sick still until I complete my first course of chemo, but the interview is going to be during this time and the school will contact my references (of which my current employer is obviously one) before interview.
    I am really not sure what to do about this, as I am still not fully fit to go back to work as tire very easily and as a cover supervisor there is no way to ease back into the job. But feel like they will see me attending an interview as inappropriate.
    Any comments or advise would be very welcome : )

7. I'm sorry I can't offer much by way of advice, but just wanted to wish you all the best with the treatment and interview. :)

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No advice I'm afraid shelby, just want to wish you all the very best, for the treatment and the interview.
    [​IMG]