1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - details of employment on application form

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PinkHelen, Mar 8, 2012.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi Theo, I'm filling in an application form at the moment and it has a section asking for details of employment (outside education) which I wish to be taken into consideration. When I've previously filled in application forms they haven't specified that I wish these things to be taken into consideration (although I suppose it is implicit) - I have simply filled them in to make sure that my employment history is complete.
    Now, I don't have anything particularly impressive to put in there - the usual job in retail as a student and a summer internship from a few years ago. I can obviously say good things about the responsibilities I had, but I'm not sure whether to include them as they don't really add to my application. So is it better to include them and briefly say a couple of good things about them or leave it blank and look like I didn't do anything before considering teaching (I am a couple of years into my teaching career, which I went into straight from uni)?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Now you won't be having any gaps, will you?
    So I wouldn't make a big deal of them. How about putting something like this: Various part-time and temporary posts while in full-time education, in which I gained skills of team-working, self-reliance, flexibility and - can't think what else, but you get the idea!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Thanks Theo, that's very helpful, as always - I won't have any gaps, so I'll put something like that :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very best of luck!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March