1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DEAR THEO Despairing!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tladams, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Hi. Here's my situation...
    I completed my training in 2009 and walked straight into a Humanities post for July that year. I ended up teaching all sorts and didn't like the school and so left after completing my NQT as I was told I wouldn't get to teach History (my subject) at GCSE for at least another year. I felt that as I was really unhappy there and not teaching a great deal of KS3 history (I spent 3 weeks teaching yr7 about blogging) it would be better if I moved on. The ead teacher took objection to this and wrote a very impersonal reference which meant I didn't secure a job for that September. I did supply work in various settings and then secured a 1 year maternity contract which ended last December. I am currently doing another maternity contract which finishes in July.

I still don't have a post for September. I am applying for History, Humanities and SEN posts (I trained at an SEN school) but had no luck. I've had interviews but in SEN been beaten by older candidates and for main stream beaten by NQTs. Now I understand completely the reasons. I've had great feedback, but years more experience or the fact that I'm no longer cheap has stopped me.

What can I do?!!! I'm still applying, my 'catchment' area is essentially the whole of Southern England/Wales, and everyone I know who has any experience in shortlisting/interviewing has checked every application I make. I've read everything on here and tweaking accordingly. Am I just that lucky?!!!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What can I say?
    There are more teachers than jobs in many areas.
    Some people are more expensive than others, certainly, but after 2 years you're not in the Pay Stratosphere yet by any means!
    Your advantage over NQTs is that you don't need support, can hit the ground running. It also sounds as though you have a lot of flexibility to offer - are you emphasising that?
    If you are near enough, it also looks as though you might benefit from going to the seminar, if there are any places left:
    Dear Theo - I got the job! (Plus evidence of why going to the TES seminar is a good idea)
    Might just tip the balance in your favour . . .
    S111. Winning That Teaching Job – Saturday 23rd June - Making the best of your application – How to make sure your application gets noticed - How to shine at Interview
    Presented by Lynne Johnson
    For more information and to register please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop111.eventbrite.co.uk
    Best wishes

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So disheartening for you.
    In my personal experience Humanities teachers do struggle more to get posts, smaller departments and there's not so many posts anyway. Priorities for a school tend to be in subjects which impact greatly on their results and place in the league tables.
    On the positive side you <u>are</u> getting interviews, so obviously have something to offer. It may just be a case of 'right place, right time' to get the job which just suits you, your personality and the school.
    Meanwhile here's a bouquet to cheer you up. (If male, on the continent males are given bouquets too, and hopefully sunflowers are fairly non-gender specific.)
    [​IMG]