1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Degree Classification & applications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by catrennie84, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Dear Theo, I wonder if you can give me some advise. I have been working in a primary (prep) school for five years, 2 as Director of Music. I am a qualified secondary music teacher and A level music examiner and am applying for music teaching jobs in independent secondary schools with my wife, who is a qualified secondary history teacher. My potential problem is that I have a 2:2 degree (from Durham in Music). In mitigation, I missed a year of my secondary schooling due to a very aggressive cancer that required extensive chemotherapy and surgery, which led to many side effects that continued throughout my degree. Obviously I am not going to explain this on letters of application etc., however would it be possible for my Headmaster from school (who I have kept in touch with and until recently was my referee) to write to these schools in support of my application? I am very keen that my 2:2 does not to hold me back from being shortlisted. Many thanks,

2. Dear Theo, I wonder if you can give me some advise. I have been working in a primary (prep) school for five years, 2 as Director of Music. I am a qualified secondary music teacher and A level music examiner and am applying for music teaching jobs in independent secondary schools with my wife, who is a qualified secondary history teacher. My potential problem is that I have a 2:2 degree (from Durham in Music). In mitigation, I missed a year of my secondary schooling due to a very aggressive cancer that required extensive chemotherapy and surgery, which led to many side effects that continued throughout my degree. Obviously I am not going to explain this on letters of application etc., however would it be possible for my Headmaster from school (who I have kept in touch with and until recently was my referee) to write to these schools in support of my application? I am very keen that my 2:2 does not to hold me back from being shortlisted. Many thanks,

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This very same question was asked earlier today! Well almost the same. Quite a coincidence.
    Dear Theo - degree classification.
    It would be unusual for your HT to write to schools, so I would not request this.
    You need to ensure that your application is so good that they are dying to meet you! Read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread to get advice on how to really present yourself effectively.
    Best wishes______________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!