1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, declining an offer

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Meimeihan, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Meimeihan

Meimeihan New commenter

First, a big thank you to Theo and the forum for the great advice on applications. I applied for a job at an independent school near home and today I got the invitation to an interview. I am very excited about it and informed my current school straight away. But I am now in a bit of an awkward position.
    My current school quickly offered me a better position on the condition that I withdraw my application. Having considered their offer carefully, I decided that I would turn it down and go to the interview.
    I will decline the offer but I am a bit worried that I might offend my current head in any way. And yes, she is the kind that will take offence easily. Any suggestion on how to word my email?

Thank you in advance.

Mei

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow . . .

Informed? You mean requested don't you? :(

You are going to turn down an offer, go to another interview (IF you get permission to go - not guaranteed), and then you might come home with your tail between your legs.

:(

I really cannot word your e-mail for you as only you know the reasons that have made you make this decision. Something about hoping to widen your professional experience in a different context might be non-offensive . . .

Really difficult situation here . . .

Best of luck for everything - including being allowed to go to the interview.

3. Meimeihan

Meimeihan New commenter

Yes, requested. I asked her nicely if I could go to the interview and she said yes of course.

The offer came shortly after the conversation. :(

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The positive is that it shows how she values you and your contribution to the school.

As I said, it's hard to know what to say other than hoping to widen your professional experience in a different context

Best wishes

5. Meimeihan

Meimeihan New commenter

Thank you Theo, I think I will use that wording in my email.
    I slept on the offer last night. It means more money but I will take on more responsibilities that I don't enjoy doing at the moment.
    I feel my current job actually suits me better than the offer so it was an easy decision to make. The hard part is telling the school.
    Plus I really don't want to have regrets in the future about the job I applied for. It is simply a better job at a better school. (That, of course, won't go in the email.)
    Hopefully, if I am not successful, the awkwardness will wear off soon, with the holiday coming and the Head being busy preparing for ofsted.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

Add something perhaps about much enjoying your current role and excellent colleagues, so would not be too disappointed if not successful elsewhere.

Best wishes

Meimeihan and Lara mfl 05 like this.