1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - declining a job that I have accepted

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AmelieS, Mar 5, 2012.

1. AmelieS

AmelieS New commenter

Dear Theo - Hi I have verbally accepted a job which requires my relocation. My husband was made redundant and took a job in another town, however the day after my verbal acceptance of my new job, my husband's new job told him they'd want him to now work out of a different office in our hometown. The right thing to do for my family is to now decline my job offer, but is this legal? I do not want to upset the new school but appreciate this is inevitable, but where do I stand legally? Thanks.

2. Technically I think a verbal offer is binding but given that your reason is completely understandable I can't forsee a problem.
    A friend of mine was 38 and accepted a post as Assistant Headteacher then discovered she was four and a half months pregnant and due in August. She and her husband had tried for nine years for a baby so this was a shock, although a very happy one. She wouldn't have been able to start in the September anyway and didn't want to start such a huge role as a new mother so contacted the school who were very understanding and pleased she'd been honest and fair.
    Good luck.

3. AmelieS

AmelieS New commenter

Thanks. It's kind of similar for us really as if I took the job on it would mean a 60 mile trip for me and a 130 mile trip for husband, one of us with a toddler in tow. It would mean late arrivals and all sorts of problems should our child be ill and need picking up from daycare. I hope the head is able to see that I would be unhappy with this. I will see what Theo says too. x

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In advance of Theo's advice - but I'm sure it will be very similar to mine - you just need to summon up your courage, phone the head and explain the situation honestly.
    It's annoying if a candidate gives what we call in the North 'back word', but there are circumstances - and yours is 100% one of them - where it's entirely understandable and justifiable.

5. Middlemarch

PS Do ring the head asap - s/he might be able to offer the job to the second place candidate.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, exactly the right advice.
    Ring the school straight away, they will understand entirely.
    P.S. for all other posters - normally you CANNOT withdraw from a job when you have accepted it, but as MM says, this is one of the rare exceptions. Don't think you can accept one job, then go to another interview that you fancy more, be offered that too, then turn down Job1....
    <h3>multiple interviews </h3>Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

7. AmelieS

AmelieS New commenter

Thank you all. I will call tomorrow morning. Very scared but need to be brave. I am genuinely disappointed but need to do what's right for the family. My husband is gutted that he is putting me through this. Just hope I don't end up with a law suit! Cheers all.

8. Middlemarch

I've known teachers give back word (some for valid reasons like you, others because they 'changed their minds' aka 'got offered something they preferred'), but I've never known a colleague even consider suing!
    Making a doll and sticking pins in it - that's the usual policy.