1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Decisions to be made

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by charlieg81, Nov 26, 2015.

1. charlieg81

charlieg81 New commenter

Dear Theo
    I am currently teaching in the Independent sector but am frustrated by the lack of opportunity for professional development (I would like to become a subject lead).
    I have applied for a job back in the state sector as I felt that this would be a better place to progress, and have got an interview for a class teacher role on Monday.

I have been to see my Head and he has offered me a humanities co-ordinator role and the possibility of 'something more to apply for in 12 months'. This is my 4th year of teaching, but I came into Education with life experience, and I know that it is quite early to move up the ladder but I am more than ready.

I am also concerned about the fact that if I stay in the Independent Sector for another 12 months and then there turns out to be nothing 'to apply for' at my current school, I would be in a much more compromised position when it comes to returning to the state sector.

Do you have any thoughts on this?
    Many thanks.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you stay in your current school, you have been offered Humanities Co-Ordinator. That sounds like a position of responsibility.

If you get this job in the State sector, you write that it is a class teacher role. There is no guarantee that you will progress in the school after accepting the job.

It isn't about whether you have life experience other than working in education. Its all about whether you have the experience required to fulfil a role of responsibility in that school. By all means go to the interview - but be aware that if you accept the post, you could find yourself no further to moving up. Good luck.

wanet likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Interesting to try and see on what basis. If you are in a small indy school, there may be fewer possibilities to progress within the school.

But on the basis of a year or so's experience as a Humanities Co-ordinator, I would have thought that you would have a good starting point for moving to another indy school.

But I wish you luck on Monday - make sure that it is right for you. And check your current contract so that you know when you can leave to take up this post. Not for January, of course.

Best wishes

4. charlieg81

charlieg81 New commenter

Hi Theo
    This was with regard to the fact that many teachers at our school stay until they retire and there is very little opportunity to move up the ladder. I perceive there to be a greater turnover of staff in the state sector as people don't tend to stay for as long at each school.
    I work in a school which has an intake of less than 50 children in each year group - is this classed as small? We are a school from 3-18.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Not quite as clear cut as that. In some schools staff can stay for as long as 20-30 years. I work in a State school - a comprehensive - where last year four people retired after 20 years plus service. My first job was three years working for a HoF who had been at the school for 10 years, with no intention of leaving. I left six years ago, and he's still there.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It is not unknown for some teachers to train and then stay in one school for the whole of their career. i have known several who have done this.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

15 year groups of 50 each makes roughly 750 - no, not small.

Best wishes