1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Current post on application if doing supply

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by s4mm13, Oct 14, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hi Theo, It's me
    again.</font>

If I&rsquo;m currently
    doing some sporadic supply work should I put this down in the current employment
    section of an application form, or should I simply put currently unemployed but
    on supply?

I'm planning on doing
    another Executive Summary&hellip; I completed one for my previous application for
    which the deadline is today, so have all fingers and toes crossed that I actually
    hear back from this one... and have been through all the clickables in the
    welcome thread. Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances? I tailor
    my letters of application to each school I apply for, but alas still don&rsquo;t hear
    back from any of them.

Many Thanks for
    your patience and pearls of wisdom; I don&rsquo;t know what we jobseekers would ever
    so without you!

<font face="Times New Roman" size="2"> </font>

<font size="2">S4mm13</font>

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I fill in my forms I usually say something along the lines of
    'currently on supply with XXXXX, most recently 3 weks at XXXXXX school teaching . . . . '
    Congratulations on doing your Exec. Summary & hopefully this will be THE ONE!
    Fingers crossed for you!
    (My deadline was noon Mon. & I've just heard a quick e-mail Thank you for your completed forms.)

3. The trouble is I've only done 2 days in one school and half a day in another, but have had good feedback from both saying that they would be more than happy to have me back time and time again. Is it still worth putting down this little amount of supply?
    I'm really hoping that these latest applications are the ones as I'm beginning to seriously consider trying to get non-teaching jobs (outside of education) as money is a really big issue now. But not sure what I could do and even if employers would hire me as I'd be overqualified for a simple shop or call centre position and still be looking to take a teaching job if it should arrise.
    I just need to keep plugging away at these applications and I'm sure something perfect will come up soon.

4. Arrgghh!!!! I'm writing my Exec Summary and all the advice given clearly says that it should be no longer than one page of A4. The school have given a list of 20 points for their person spec and detailing (even in short bullets) is going to take me over the one page limit. Should I pick the things which I consider to be the most important, reduce the font size or take more than the advised one page??
    Heeeelllllllp[​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes. You don't have to say how much you've done there, but quote the schools.
    I hope that you are putting that in your applications.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    (Shall have to start another reply for the Q in the next post as I can't see it now)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An E.S. is supposed to be an At-A-Glance document. Having people turn over a page removes that advantage.
    So keep it to the one side.
    You need to:
    • condense what they say
    • group two or more together
    • prioritise and omit
    But get it down to the one side - in normal size print!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

7. Thank you Theo, I promise I'll leave you alone now [​IMG]

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:)