1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - current/future job prospects for NQT/trainee math teachers

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by eurasian, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,

I'm wondering if you could give some advice on the GENUINE career prospects for trainee/newly qualified maths teachers in the UK at present and in the near future.

My situation is this - I am considering a full-time PGCE secondary maths for 2011 entry. I have a maths-related degree, a decade of experience of working for international businesses in maths/computing related roles in a number of different countries. However, since I only moved back to the UK around 2 years ago, I do not qualify for home student funding. This means

i) I will have to pay overseas fees of around 10,000 pounds

ii) I will not qualify for any training bursaries for shortage subjects

So here is the issue. I do not mind the cost if there is a genuine chance of getting a job at the end of the training, since I sincerely wish to teach. So far, I've been reading a lot about maths being a 'shortage subject' and certainly PGCE admissions literature likes to play this up as well.

But... I am very glad I came to this forum, since I was blissfully unaware of the large drop in teaching positions available this year, and the large rise in the number of NQTs from previous years still without places. I've been doing some browsing, and some posters seem to think that for mathematics, there are still jobs aplenty if one is willing to move around (I am) and work in less 'desirable' or 'popular' schools (I am, in fact I would prefer to do this). However, there are other posters who are adamant that the shortage is bad across the board.

So I would appreciate some advice on what the situation is like for shortage subjects for NQTs and trainees. Although I do wish to teach, forking out 10,000+ pounds for training that has a high chance of leading to unemployment isn't really something I can afford to do.

Thanks.

2. Hi Theo,

I'm wondering if you could give some advice on the GENUINE career prospects for trainee/newly qualified maths teachers in the UK at present and in the near future.

My situation is this - I am considering a full-time PGCE secondary maths for 2011 entry. I have a maths-related degree, a decade of experience of working for international businesses in maths/computing related roles in a number of different countries. However, since I only moved back to the UK around 2 years ago, I do not qualify for home student funding. This means

i) I will have to pay overseas fees of around 10,000 pounds

ii) I will not qualify for any training bursaries for shortage subjects

So here is the issue. I do not mind the cost if there is a genuine chance of getting a job at the end of the training, since I sincerely wish to teach. So far, I've been reading a lot about maths being a 'shortage subject' and certainly PGCE admissions literature likes to play this up as well.

But... I am very glad I came to this forum, since I was blissfully unaware of the large drop in teaching positions available this year, and the large rise in the number of NQTs from previous years still without places. I've been doing some browsing, and some posters seem to think that for mathematics, there are still jobs aplenty if one is willing to move around (I am) and work in less 'desirable' or 'popular' schools (I am, in fact I would prefer to do this). However, there are other posters who are adamant that the shortage is bad across the board.

So I would appreciate some advice on what the situation is like for shortage subjects for NQTs and trainees. Although I do wish to teach, forking out 10,000+ pounds for training that has a high chance of leading to unemployment isn't really something I can afford to do.

Thanks.

3. Have you considered alternative ways of training? GTP or SCITT?
    Don't know anything about job availability, but if you can find a GTP post, for example, you would at least get some income while training.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Eurasian - your expert on this is Prof Howson over on the Career Clinic - he has all thw facts and figures at his fingertips, so I suggest that you post over there.
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. Thanks Theo, I have done as you suggested

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best of luck then!

By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!