1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - CRB worries

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by emilycrowe, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I am a newly qualified teacher and I am struggling to find my first teaching job. I have been completing supply work for the last 18 months, which I really enjoy. I have not been successful in any of my job applications and I want an honest opinion from you. Unfortunately I have a conviction on my CRB, it is very minor, an unpaid rail fare. Do you think this is hindering my chances of getting an interview.

Thanks

2. I am a newly qualified teacher and I am struggling to find my first teaching job. I have been completing supply work for the last 18 months, which I really enjoy. I have not been successful in any of my job applications and I want an honest opinion from you. Unfortunately I have a conviction on my CRB, it is very minor, an unpaid rail fare. Do you think this is hindering my chances of getting an interview.

Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am unable to reply tonight due to technical problems.

:-(

My apologies. Normal service will be resumed asap.

I hope!

:)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My apologies for the tardy reply - although I am only supposed to reply 2 or 3 times a week, so actually it's not so very tardy.
    :)
    I actually doubt that the conviction is of any importance. The main things to do are (a) declare it, so that it doesn't come back and bite you, and (b) present it positively. Although you would NEVER share the details with a colleague or student, you believe that this does give you a greater insight into supporting youngsters who might be in danger of going off the rails (no railway pun intended), and thus makes you a more effective form tutor.
    Frightened to apply for a new job because of my caution
    My guess is that you are not presenting yourself effectively. Have you read all the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread? And perhaps you should be signing up for the seminar on Saturday (if there are any places left).
    Best wishes