1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- covering letter for e-mail application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fififred, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hello, frequent lurker and occasional questioner here!

Having submitted 7 applications and got interviews for every application I am confident about my form filling, exec. summary etc. One of the feedback points I had from an interview was that my covering letter was strong and not to change it soooooo, what is my problem this time!

For the first time I have to submit the form by e-mail, the head has requested this when we visited the school. I will attach the exec summary as an additional attachment, but I am worried my standard A-4 size covering letter will be too long to read on a computer screen! No letter has been asked for, and the form is a standard LA form with space for a personal statement so should I just do a briefer covering e-mail this time. I am so nervous because my old format of form, letter and exec. summary has worked wonders so far.

In summary my question is, is do I do a reduced covering letter to make it more readable on a screen? ( Why did I waffle to get to this point- maybe you can see why I haven't secured a job from the interview!!!)

Thank you, yet again.

2. Sorry, I realised the formatting was wrong, went for a search to edit it and ran out of time to edit my post.

Has this worked?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Can't see the problem here . . .
    Who says it will be read on screen? And even if it is, there's something called a scroll function . . .
    No.
    Do just as you always have.
    Application form
    Letter as an attachment, put the executive summary as page 3 so it gets printed out automatically. Or read if they really are reading on screen, although I doubt it.
    Having everything e-mailed just means that they can have all the applications neatly together on a computer, in my view, and they will print out what they want.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. Well, the Head said that we needed to e-mail otherwise she loses paper, and that if we were called for interview we would need to bring a hard copy with us- for signatures etc. She rather implied they would be short listing from the screen, but logistically that would be difficult I would imagine!

Will do as you say, and stop panicking!

Thank you.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exactly what I said! She wants them all together on a computer!
    Good luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com