1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo! Cover Supervisor Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Bentley89, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

I have recently applied for two Cover Supervisor positions as Full Time Permanent teaching jobs are hard to come by when you are an NQT...

One is in an Academy and the other in a state school.

The Academy is advertising P/T 30 hours pro rata of £18,000.

The State School is advertising F/T 27.5 hours at £18,000.

Is this possible? As I stand, I have an interview for the Academy, but not for the State school, but feel hard done by as the difference of 2.5 hours in a week will cost me the difference of £4000 if based on a 37 hour week being full time.

Is this all within regulation?

Am I, and the Academy, in a legal position to negotiate pay as they are both advertised at Grade G on Support Staff Pay Scales.

Does this carry any weight considering I am a qualified teacher as this position could be filled by a non-qualified teacher?

Finally, would this position be considered relevant experience by headteachers to progress on to do my NQT year, as I'm guessing I can't do it as a Cover Supervisor?

Any support would be appreciated :)

Regards,

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Golly!
    These are Pay & Conditions questions, not JobSeekers' questions . . .
    And if you ask a lot of questions, you need to number them if anyone is going to have a go at answering . . .
    Q1 Unlikely
    Q2 There is no regulation
    Q3 Yes, you are, but they are unlikely to
    Q4 No idea - what do you mean by carry any weight? If you mean: do you have a good case, the answer is that nowadays with thousands of unemployed teachers out there, supply and demand means that it is an employers' market
    5 Not quite sure what you mean. No experience, relevant or other, is needed in order to begin your induction year. You just finish your PGCE, get an inductible post, and begin your year with no previous experience. But this is NOT an inductible post, it CANNOT be counted for actually doing your induction, if that is what your query is.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do feel for you and your dilemma.
    Theo's right, post again on Pay and Conditions, who'll be better able to answer your questions.
    My experience of Academies is that , they can do their own thing regarding pay and conditions, they don't need to stick to the National rates and conditions. I heard only yesterday how in one Academy, whilst holding to the regulatory 3 years pay guarantee, after that all TA positions will revert to grade 1! Doesn't bode well for morale, when they're in effect saying -we don't think much of you.I doubt you'd get anywhere trying to negotiate a higher rate - though possibly if it were the the other way round?
    As to the experience of being a CS, you'll have to highlight how you've boosted your skills in future applications, and yes, I do think Heads are now aware that they have a 'buyer's market' and that prospective teachers are having to look at alternative roles. Depends on what you actually do as a CS, I'm beginning to realise this term covers a wide variation of responsiblities.
    Best wishes with your application. Hopefully there might be some teaching jobs soon.

4. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

Firstly, thank you for the support.

Secondly, apologies. I had no idea who to post too, or the procedure of numbering, as this is my first time in posting.

I appreciate your help though.

Thanks,