1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Contingency Plan - Masters.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Jul 6, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I looked at a masters but they wouldn't give me a professional development loan as I was unemployed... x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that you haven't yet got that job you need so much. Really sorry.
    MEd = over-qualified? But there are people with PhDs who are NQTS! I was one myself once . . .
    Do try to keep in touch with the classroom, or with children, too. Possibly help run a club or Cubs or Brownies, get in touch with whoever runs the Holiday playschemes locally, volunteer at a school.
    And do reflect all through the year on how your MEd will make you a better teacher, so that this can be expressed in applications and interviews.
    Best of luck with everything.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose New commenter

Thanks for the advice Theo.
    The Masters requires me to have access to a group of children and my placement school have said that I can continue there on a voluntary basis so I'll have contact with a school throughout the year.
    BUT ... I may not need my contingency plan since I have been offered an interview for Monday!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As Theo says, you certainly won't look 'over-qualified' - but neither will a master's degree give you an 'edge' over other candidates in itself.
    As Theo rightly says, you must look for ways to use what you learn to give you that 'edge'.