1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, contacting school after being runner up at interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lucyjp, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I recently had an interview at a lovely school for a full time teaching post. Although I didn't get the job, the deputy head told me I was the runner up, it was a very close call and they loved my lesson! She also told me to keep in contact and let them know if I was off the market as they'd like to offer me a future position if one came up. I then received a letter from the school saying the same thing, to which I replied saying I'd love to work there and to definitely let me know if something did come up.
    I have now been invited to interview at a different school for a maternity cover position. I am unsure of whether to contact the first school, to see if anything looks likely to come up as I really don't want to miss out on working there! Would this be appropriate?

Thanks. Sorry if a similar question is somewhere else, I couldn't see anything.

2. I'm not Theo, but I think that this school have had their chance.

You should apply for the new one and give it your all.
    You don't get paid and get further in your career for being a 'runner up.'
    Find the school that want to employ you on a full-time basis.

This is just my opinion of course, but I think you deserve to be more than second.
    Best wishes x

3. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi
    This happened to me 3 years ago and the Head there contacted me twice over posts (one temp one perm but after resignation date). Depends how long it was since the interview - if recent then go for the other one, if it was say 2 months ago then i would phone just in case!
    Good luck!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I would say what SBW2009 (that's a hard name to remember!) has said.
    It's the new term, someone may have handed in their notice, if you last heard from them in February or early March, contact them now.
    If it was more recently, then go for the other school whole-heartedly.
    But following all the advice on here in the Welcome thread!
    Best wishes

5. Thanks to all for the advice, I'm going to just go for the other interview as last heard from the school the week before Easter.