1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Contacting a School regarding volunteering

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SecondEd1, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hi Theo,
    I am currently working as a Primary school teaching assistant in the Foundation Phase, however I am desperate to get a job in a Secondary School for September. To help me do this I would like to volunteer at my old Secondary School as a TA 2 mornings a week (whilst I am not at the primary school). Since I left the school (7 years ago) the Headmaster has changed, so I am unsure about how to approach him, how do you think I should do this? I have thought about sending a leter but I fear that this may be ignored and he will not reply to my request. Other ways could be to visit the school and see if he is free to have a face to face discussion or try to have a phone conversation with him. If you were the Headmaster, which method of communication would you prefer? Also do you have any other advice for me regarding this situation?
    Thanks
    SecondEd1

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Write to the SENCO not the HT. Look on the school's website to get a name and send a full on letter.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And if his/her name is not on the website, then ring up and ask.
    Part of the job of the Head´s Sec is to weed out unsolicited letters. You´re always better off writing to a named person who is not likely to have a secretary.
    So if you want to write about something to do with English, for example, don´t send it to HoD English, send it to Mr T Griff.
    Best wishes!

By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!