1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - considering applying to an academy

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PinkHelen, Feb 26, 2012.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi Theo, I'm currently looking to move to another part of the country, and as such I am considering applying to an academy. Generally speaking, I am against academies, but am struggling to find an appealing job (obviuously difficult in these times for many people!).
    The academy I am considering applying to is currently rated as "outstanding" (however with a "good" for teaching and learning, so I would expect it to be re-inspected under new Ofsted guidelines, and that that may carry a lot of pressure in an academy), and does look like a lovely school to work at, in an area I would love to live in.
    I have done a bit of homework and read the documents that the school published on its conversion, and it does mention changes to the working day and year. Obviously, if appointed they could pay me whatever they wanted too.
    My question however, is really when is it ok to ask about these things? Would it be wrong to call them up in advance of submitting an application and ask what the proposed pay and conditions would be for the successful candidate? I presume that I would have no success in asking about the changes to working day/year but would it also be very bad form to ask about that - whether they have made a decision/what the decision is.
    I am aware, obviously, that they could also make further changes later on, but would like to know how it stands at the moment/in the near future. I also don't want to waste valuable hours on an application only to get an interview and find that I do not want to work at the school!

2. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi Theo, I'm currently looking to move to another part of the country, and as such I am considering applying to an academy. Generally speaking, I am against academies, but am struggling to find an appealing job (obviuously difficult in these times for many people!).
    The academy I am considering applying to is currently rated as "outstanding" (however with a "good" for teaching and learning, so I would expect it to be re-inspected under new Ofsted guidelines, and that that may carry a lot of pressure in an academy), and does look like a lovely school to work at, in an area I would love to live in.
    I have done a bit of homework and read the documents that the school published on its conversion, and it does mention changes to the working day and year. Obviously, if appointed they could pay me whatever they wanted too.
    My question however, is really when is it ok to ask about these things? Would it be wrong to call them up in advance of submitting an application and ask what the proposed pay and conditions would be for the successful candidate? I presume that I would have no success in asking about the changes to working day/year but would it also be very bad form to ask about that - whether they have made a decision/what the decision is.
    I am aware, obviously, that they could also make further changes later on, but would like to know how it stands at the moment/in the near future. I also don't want to waste valuable hours on an application only to get an interview and find that I do not want to work at the school!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Seems very sensible to me, instead of going in blind.
    Again, I think it's fair to know as much as possible.
    This is what I suggest:
    Get the application pack, either from the school or the website. If it has no details of the two points above, then get in touch with them by e-mail.
    Now . . . you may feel that it is not a good idea to have your name attached to this request for information. And you will, of course have a nice professional e-mail address for applications, something along the lines of TheoGriff@googlemail.com or Theo-Griff@gmail.co.uk or GriffTheo@yahoo.com . Something with your name in it. Now if you just happened to have another e-mail address . . . you could ask for this information under that name.
    :)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

4. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Thanks Theo, your advice is great, and has given me the confidence to possibly get in contact with them over the next few days. [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Possibly? Possibly? Go on! Do it!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com