1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear Theo: confused by exactly what the school wants in a cover letter

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sulis, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    I'm currently completing an application for a school, and basically things have changed in the three years since I last had to do this. As well as, not requiring a copy of my CV, the school is asking for a;
    "letter, which develops your views on the teaching and learning of History. It should also indicate the contribution you would hope to make to the life of the college."
    Whilst I can do the second bit of this request easily, I am not so sure of what to say about the teaching and learning of History. I usually write about my experience so far, but clearly now it seems that this is not considered to be relevant! I don't want to put myself out of the running by saying something contraversial or which the school do not want to hear - Help!

2. Sorry I can spell - 'controversial' just so tired when I posted last night!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, what is your approach to the teaching of history? For example I knew one colleague who turned the whole classroom into a medieval village one term. Each child had a 'position' in the village and they learnt all about history by 'living it. That's obviously extreme, but would that be something you would do as a teacher or is your approach different? That then gives you your answer to " your views on the teaching and learning of History." Why is it important students study history? Why is it vital we keep it in the curriculum? How can students benefit today from the subject? etc.

4. many thanks Theo and Lara for your advice/guidance - I'll get going on that application!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best of luck!

Posted from my Galaxy Tab

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Best of luck!

Posted from my Galaxy Tab Best of luck!

Posted from my Galaxy Tab