1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - conflicting information!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missbiologygeek, May 15, 2011.

1. I'm working on a job application at the moment, and there's some rather conflicting information about what they require. The application form states "enclose a supporting statement of two sides of A4", while the information to applicants states "please enclose a letter of application of no more than one side of A4".
    What do I do?
    a) Do just the one side letter of application?
    b) Do both a supporting statement and letter of application and make sure I don't repeat myself?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, isn't this just helpful!
    How frustrating when you are trying your best to get everything just right, to discover that they have got something wrong!
    This is a mistake, no doubt.
    I suggest that you just do the 2 sides. BUT. . . Is there room on the application form (a whole page) for your executive summary? If so, put the ES there. If not, then the ES goes as it wiuld normally, as an extra loose page.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks Theo. I was so worried about this I ended up phoning the school for clarification - I was advised that the letter of application should be more like a covering letter!
    No space on the application form for an executive summary, so I basically hit all of the points on the person spec in my letter and then expanded on them in my statement. Now to play the waiting game!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!