1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Conditional offer

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SANDRABADCOCK, Feb 26, 2012.

1. A couple of years ago I started a job in a 6th Form College. At the end of a brilliant 1st week I was told the offer of a contract had been withdrawn because they were not happy with my references.

I'm now paranoid that this will happen again (though I expect good refs from both referees).

I have an interview tomorrow. If I'm offered the job should I ask for the offer in writing before I leave? Should I ask if they have had my references?? Or any other conditions that need to be met?

I have another interview the day after, I don't want to withdraw from that interview unless I KNOW I have the 1st job (if offered of course!)

Thanks for any advice,

Sandra

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, but it is HIGHLY unlikely to happen again.
    That would be considered very weird . . . but you could try. Although they are not that likely to keep you there until they decide - nearly everyone sends you home and then rings up that evening.
    The govt statutory advice is that they should ask for references BEFORE interview so that they can talk about them with you if necessary. So they will almost certainly have them.
    Then when they ring to offer you the job, you accept, but tell them that you are going to another interview later in the week and need a written offer - by e-mail if necessary - in order to withdraw from that.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. I feel reassured. Many thanks.
    Sandra :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You have done well to get 2 interviews! Now go and read the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread at the top of the Forum.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com