1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - compromise agreements again

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alexanderosman, Mar 2, 2012.

1. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

I'm in a real dilemma about where to go next.
    I know that I am a good teacher and I still have a lot of enthusiasm for teaching. However, looking at job adverts I can't imagine how I will possibly get another teaching job. How do I explain my reason for leaving? What if the head is asked questions that aren't answered in my agreed reference? What if I'm asked questions about my previous employment that I can't answer due to the CA?
    I feel as if I would be deceiving any school I applied to, which in truth I would. I'm a very truthful person and would feel awful having not to talk about certain details eg. that I wasn't actually currently working at the school despite still being employed by them. I also have no access to the evidence that I would collate in a portfolio, so if asked for one wouldn't be able to provide it. I'm not confident about applying to schools that ask for an outstanding practitioner - recently my observations have been satisfactory to good. I didn't agree with the judgments but that is what they were, so I'm not an outstanding teacher. I can't afford to spend months not working whilst applying for jobs and know I will have to visit every school and complete a lot of applications if I'm to have any chance of a job, which is a full time job in itself.
    My plan was going to be to do supply and try to prove myself that way, but I'm really doubting that I can afford that. I would need to work at least 10 days every month at the minimum, I have no idea whether I would get that many days' work, and I don't really trust agencies to give me the true picture. I would love to do tutoring, 1-1, support teaching etc. but can't find any openings for that kind of work in schools although of course I can register with a tutoring agency and hopefully get some clients to supplement whatever I'm earning.
    I'm considering trying to get work outside teaching, as my confidence in my teaching is low, and I need to support my family financially, but I have no idea whether I have any chance of getting any other job and know that the job market is difficult.
    I feel as if I really need some more time out not worrying about work at all, to recover from the bad experiences I've had, but I can't afford not to look for work straightaway. I just have no idea which direction to go in and don't really feel qualified or confident to do any job at the moment. This is the first time I've ever doubted that I was meant to be in teaching and whether I wanted to do it for the rest of my life - I've always been completely focused and determined before.

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Not sure that I can offer any advice except to say that I didn't want to read and run. Supply really helped me after a difficult time in a school that didn't suit me - but that was years ago, and from all I've read the supply landscape has changed. Could you check out the supply forum? Good luck.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh what a difficult situation you are in!
    I do feel for you.
    I am afraid that cannot really give much help here. Can you talk to your union to see what they suggest? They may be able to point you in the right direction.
    And do investigate this:
    http://teachersupport.info/
    It may be just what you need for both practical suggestions and a bit of moral support, which you are in need of at present.
    Very best wishes for a big turn around in your situation.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

4. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

My union haven't been too helpful unfortunately. I didn't receive any advice about my CA to be honest - only negotiations took place because I knew what I needed to look for.
    I so wish I could afford to take time out and do some volunteering before having to decide what direction to go in, but financially that isn't possible.
    It seems such a waste - in my PGCE I passed the teaching practice with distinction and in my previous post I had all good lesson obs. At my current school I have had good with elements of outstanding more than once and received good from ofsted. Yet SMT have such power that they can turn round and say someone is inadequate and there was nothing I could do about it.