1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo -Completing NQT induction in Independent Prep.

Discussion in 'Independent' started by redbutterflyef54, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I'm sorry you probably get this question all the time and I did do a search but didn't find anything that was relevant to completling my induction period.

I started my NQT year in January in a mainstream primary, on a temporary contract. I have just successfully landed my dream job in an independent prep school, starting in September. I will obviously still have a term (2 mini terms) left of my NQT induction. Is this OK to complete in the independent sector? They are experienced with NQTs and so I guess they are registered with the relevant bodies - what should I be asking to confirm this?

Like I said I am over the moon to have got this job as an NQT and quite quite believe it, but obviously need to make sure my induction year is completed and if I need to do anything before September to ensure this can happen.

Pearls if wisdom gratefully received.

:)

2. Dear Theo,

I'm sorry you probably get this question all the time and I did do a search but didn't find anything that was relevant to completling my induction period.

I started my NQT year in January in a mainstream primary, on a temporary contract. I have just successfully landed my dream job in an independent prep school, starting in September. I will obviously still have a term (2 mini terms) left of my NQT induction. Is this OK to complete in the independent sector? They are experienced with NQTs and so I guess they are registered with the relevant bodies - what should I be asking to confirm this?

Like I said I am over the moon to have got this job as an NQT and quite quite believe it, but obviously need to make sure my induction year is completed and if I need to do anything before September to ensure this can happen.

Pearls if wisdom gratefully received.

:)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on bagging that job! You are right to be pleased!
    They must have known that you were half-way through when they appointed you. But you could discreetly ask about it, by writing and asking what exactly you will need to bring from your current school to enable them to register you with ISCtip to finish your induction year.
    Yes, you can do your induction year in an independent school!
    Best wishes - you must be so happy!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. I am very happy.... thanks for the tip, will check out the other posts.

5. Dear redbutterflyef54,
    Congratulations on securing your new job! Further information about completing induction in the independent sector can be found on our website:
    www.isc.co.uk
    Kind regards,
    Rachel

6. I'm NQT Induction tutor at an independent senior school and currently have an NQT who did the first part of her NQT period at a state school. Make sure you have copies of all your reports from your current school, lesson observations etc. You will need to be registered with ISCTIP - by Sept 18th this year, so do be pro-active in making sure this gets done. You can do quite a bit of this yourself ; I advise you to check out the ISCTIP website in advance. They will need copies of your reports from the state sector.
    NB - as you have already completed part of your induction period, your new school will not have to pay the full fee to ISCTIP - try to ensure that you pass this information on to your new induction tutor!

Good luck!