1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, combining criteria for an executive summary.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ladykaza, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Dear Theo, and any other experts out there.
    I am currently trying to complete an application for a management position and as usual have got to the stage of agonising over how to present myself in the best light!
    As is often the case, the number of criteria to be addressed in my executive summary are too many for me to keep it to one page. I am therefore following the advice on this board to abbreviate and combine where possible and sensible.
    Some of the criteria are described in some detail, and half of one fits quite well with half of another e.g. the criteria about acheivement refers to inclusion, whilst another links inclusion with developing the whole child.
    Am I misunderstanding, or indeed being disrespectful , if I amalgamate the 2 references to inclusion? Should I keep the groupings as on the person spec and put my evidence for inclusion twice?
    There is more than one of these conundrums e.g. several references to relationships and communication.
    Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated,
    Oh help!!

2. Ladykaza

Dear Theo, and any other experts out there.
    I am currently trying to complete an application for a management position and as usual have got to the stage of agonising over how to present myself in the best light!
    As is often the case, the number of criteria to be addressed in my executive summary are too many for me to keep it to one page. I am therefore following the advice on this board to abbreviate and combine where possible and sensible.
    Some of the criteria are described in some detail, and half of one fits quite well with half of another e.g. the criteria about acheivement refers to inclusion, whilst another links inclusion with developing the whole child.
    Am I misunderstanding, or indeed being disrespectful , if I amalgamate the 2 references to inclusion? Should I keep the groupings as on the person spec and put my evidence for inclusion twice?
    There is more than one of these conundrums e.g. several references to relationships and communication.
    Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated,
    Oh help!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's a good idea to combine several things. As long as you do so sensitively and sensibly, having regard to what is very important to a school.
    You need to consider not only what can be combined on their side, but also your evidence. If you have 3 different bits of v good evidence, one each for achievement, inclusion and whole child, then doesn't make sense to combine.
    Yes, you can give the same evidence twice, but do make sure that you aren't just including inclusion twice for the h*** of it. It might make more sense to have it in once.
    Do read my advice to this poster, which is relevant to you too
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/516121.aspx
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

4. Ladykaza

Thank you so much for your sage advice, as always.