1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, clashing interview dates and interviews not in person

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Beverley33, May 21, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I have just been shortlisted for two teaching jobs interviews on the same day next week. Each School is inviting interviewees to attend for the best part of a day (school tour, teach a lesson and then interview). How is this best handled? Attend only one interview but do it properly? Negotiate with the schools to do truncated visits/interviews at each? Is it ever possible to do interviews via phone or videoconference and supply lesson plan, resources for discussion with the offer to "meet" students over the phone? I should add that since I have threshold status I would like to think I come with some sort of assurance that I am a good teacher without actually teaching in front of an observer?
    Any thoughts gratefully recieved!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'll start off by saying "Well done". That's excellent news - except for the timing!
    And the 2nd thing is that if you are going to ask more than 1 question, please number them to save me having to do this!
    Yes, probably the best option.
    You could try, but their view would probably be that this is not Equal Opps.
    No.
    Again, not Equal Opps, and also makes it harder for the panel to judge when not in same circumstances. And how complicated for them to set up!
    Plus, of course, the fact that the Govt regs require a face to face interview!
    Sorry, I don't agree here.
    Something like 80+% of teachers pass on to threshold - are they all outstanding teachers? I doubt it.
    You could try asking your less favoured choice if they would see you the day before. If they say No, then ask the other. Then withdraw from the 2nd choice one if neither will allow this.
    Good luck, whichever solution you come up with!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

3. Dear Theo, Thank you for the ridiculously speedy response! I didn't know so may teachers went through threshold and I didn't realise face to face interviews were a legal requirement. Very helpful advice indeed.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope it works out for you.

Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!